Help: Int/Ext Drives Locked!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having a major problem with my Powermac G5:

Long story short: I opened the "get info" pane on my HD and gave myself as user/admin READ/WITE ACCESS and applied to contents. Dumb. I thought it would make installs faster so it would not ask for my login everytime. Dumb

Now, I had my internal/syst drive partitioned in two, one was for the system and only system and the second partition was a general storage area. I also have 3 internals and some are partitioned for various uses.

So the permissions process took a while but when it was done IT LOCKED ALL OF THE DRIVES/PARTITIONS. When I checked "get info" on the partitions the access pane identified Me (user), system, admin and everyone as having CUSTOM PRIVILEGES. I unchecked the lock to make changes and ticked IGNORE OWNERSHIP, SHARED FOLDER and tried adjusting the "Custom" privilage drop down but it wont let me adjust to READ/WRITE.

Only my SYSTEM partition is running fine but the other one in that same drive is locked (along with the rest of them)

I tried using the disk utility (repair permissions) from both the computer and from the installation disk to no results. I used the "file salvage" app to take another look and it identified the locked partitions as being under ROOT privileges.

I am out of ideas and my media is locked in the partitions. Including backups. I was in the process of reinstalling everything on my mac to make it run smoother and hadn't run time machine yet. I hate to impose but does anyone have any suggestions?

Powermac G5 2x2.8 QuadCore running 10.5.1 (it was running 10.5.8 but I reinstalled to see if it would help)

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having a major problem with my Powermac G5:

Long story short: I opened the "get info" pane on my HD and gave myself as user/admin READ/WITE ACCESS and applied to contents. Dumb. I thought it would make installs faster so it would not ask for my login everytime. Dumb

Now, I had my internal/syst drive partitioned in two, one was for the system and only system and the second partition was a general storage area. I also have 3 internals and some are partitioned for various uses.

So the permissions process took a while but when it was done IT LOCKED ALL OF THE DRIVES/PARTITIONS. When I checked "get info" on the partitions the access pane identified Me (user), system, admin and everyone as having CUSTOM PRIVILEGES. I unchecked the lock to make changes and ticked IGNORE OWNERSHIP, SHARED FOLDER and tried adjusting the "Custom" privilage drop down but it wont let me adjust to READ/WRITE.

Only my SYSTEM partition is running fine but the other one in that same drive is locked (along with the rest of them)

I tried using the disk utility (repair permissions) from both the computer and from the installation disk to no results. I used the "file salvage" app to take another look and it identified the locked partitions as being under ROOT privileges.

I am out of ideas and my media is locked in the partitions. Including backups. I was in the process of reinstalling everything on my mac to make it run smoother and hadn't run time machine yet. I hate to impose but does anyone have any suggestions?

Powermac G5 2x2.8 QuadCore running 10.5.1 (it was running 10.5.8 but I reinstalled to see if it would help)

Thanks again.

Long Story Short. NEVER MESS WITH FILE PERMISSIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW UNIX/LINUX BY HEART!

Now What you are going to need to do is do a Backup and reinstall mac OS X to Reset the File Permissions.

Now to Rest the Permission on your Files is Another Story. Use on the of the Drives you have and Format the Drive Either NTFS or FAT32. These Filesystems do not use File permissions. So it will remove all the File permissions from the Files.

Now to Fix the System, Because its Under Permission look from the Looks of it

Now you are going to need to do the Following:

1. Reboot Holding the Command + S
2. You will be at a Command line System
3. Type in startx
4. Give it a Few minuets to boot into Aqua
5. You will now Either be on a Desktop/Log in screen. (if at a Login screen, Type in root, then for the password leave it blank then log in)
6. Move your file to the FAT32/NTFS Drive.
7. Boot into the Mac OS X Install CD
8. Reinstall Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Besides hosing your computer, I want you to realize what else you would have done even if you accomplished what you were trying to do. In order to try and save a minuscule amount of time during an install, which if like normal people, won't even happen that often, you would have disabled one of the best security features of the Mac platform...namely the fact you modify anything on the system without an Admin password.

OP
N
Reaction score
Long Story Short. NEVER MESS WITH FILE PERMISSIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW UNIX/LINUX BY HEART!

Now What you are going to need to do is do a Backup and reinstall mac OS X to Reset the File Permissions.

Now to Rest the Permission on your Files is Another Story. Use on the of the Drives you have and Format the Drive Either NTFS or FAT32. These Filesystems do not use File permissions. So it will remove all the File permissions from the Files.

Now to Fix the System, Because its Under Permission look from the Looks of it

Now you are going to need to do the Following:

1. Reboot Holding the Command + S
2. You will be at a Command line System
3. Type in startx
4. Give it a Few minuets to boot into Aqua
5. You will now Either be on a Desktop/Log in screen. (if at a Login screen, Type in root, then for the password leave it blank then log in)
6. Move your file to the FAT32/NTFS Drive.
7. Boot into the Mac OS X Install CD
8. Reinstall Mac OS X

Thank you for your response Nomina-Kun ^_^, I am backing-up everything from my HD and will do a clean install.

A friend came over and typed in a sudo command into the terminal and it unlocked the internal drives. But I'm asking if the new/full reinstall will "reset" the permissions or do the internal drives have to be reformatted to FAT32/NTFS from now on?

Thank you for your quick response. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.