New MBP 15" i7, 5400 vs 7200 rpm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook pro
My 13" mid 09 mbp is not up to task, sister could use a computer so this is a good time to buy myself a new one and maybe save a few hundred.

Ive done lots of reading on the subject and have only confused myself more.

With the latest generation HDD is 7200 worth it ?

I am a mechanical engineering student in my 2nd year. Im learning CAD on Solidworks (windows based) and using the notebook as my main computer. I will be running everything through parallels.

I want to make sure that my new machine will keep up with me till im out of school. I enjoy the portability of the macbook and use it in the field when repairing gas pumps at work.

For the activities listed would i be better served with a 7200 rpm drive? Also is there any draw backs? Ive read lots of conflicting data.
(BTW upgrade is 50$ from 500gb 5400 to 500gb 7200)

Thanks for the help.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would say it's worth it considering 7200 RPM has faster read and write times.

Reaction score
I would say it's worth it considering 7200 RPM has faster read and write times.

The numbers don't lie the read and write are faster, but don't expect to be awe struck by the difference. Now if you are willing to spend a $100 or so more (above the $50) than you can get a solid state drive then you will be amazed!!!!!!

Reaction score
Consider the seagate momentus XT. So far, they have proven themselves well.

Buy the base, then diy upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.