Can I use my dead 24 Imac for monitor w/ Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I have an Imac 24 that looks like it is dead. The monitor still works but that's it. Can I hook up a Mac Mini to it and use the monitor and if so how?
Kman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your dead iMac has no video input port, only video output. The only iMac that supports video both ways is the new 27" iMac. So no, as far as I know, there is no way to use that monitor. If the machine was functional, there is software that would allow you to use it as a second monitor but since it's not working you can't even do that.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
How about if I open the Imac up and pull out the screen. Is there any way to hook just the screen up with a cable into a Mac Mini?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess if you have the technical knowledge it would be possible. You'll need the entire display assembly though - inverter, PS, cables, etc. Be an interesting project. If the iMac is truly dead, you might still be able to sell it for parts on eBay. Mac machine parts are always in demand. With the money you get from the parts, you can buy a nice new LCD display for your Mini.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How about if I open the Imac up and pull out the screen. Is there any way to hook just the screen up with a cable into a Mac Mini?

My guess is if you didn't already know the answer to your original question...

"Can I use my dead 24 iMac for monitor w/ Mac Mini?"

...then you probably don't have the technical knowledge to...

"open up the iMac and pull out the screen. Is there any way to hook just the screen up with a cable into a Mac Mini?

Best bet is to find a used LCD display on Craig's List for your Mac Mini.

Good luck,

- Nick

C

chas_m

ANY way to hook it up? Possibly.

In the real world, however, the answer is no. The screen uses proprietary connectors, will not work outside the iMac.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my Imac is dead. It doesn't make the start up sound and all I get is the gray apple logo and the spinning thing. It doesn't see the cd drive either. I don't have a Mac mini either it was just a thought of how to put my Imac screen to use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm pretty sure my Imac is dead. It doesn't make the start up sound and all I get is the gray apple logo and the spinning thing. It doesn't see the cd drive either. I don't have a Mac mini either it was just a thought of how to put my Imac screen to use.

WOW...we went through all of this discussion just to find out that you don't even have a Mac-Mini!!!:Angry:

It might have been nice for this little detail to have been a little more clearly stated at the beginning of this thread!

The discussion is fine...but the conversation might have taken a different direction...such as more theoretical than practical.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Haha, that's pretty funny.

To answer your question: Yes, you probably can buy an LCD driver kit to convert the iMac into a monitor. I just did this with a dead 27" iMac. The driver boards are about $60-80, but they're specific to the LCD panel you're using them with. You'd have to open up the iMac and get the model number of the LCD panel.

You're probably better off selling the iMac (or just the panel) on eBay and buying a used computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.