GPS Navigation?

B

bth44

I looked on the forums about discussions about this in the past, and it didn't answer all of my questions. My friends and I are exploring a large city by car next month. I bought a metroguide at a bookstore, then I thought about GPS, and how much easier and safer it would be to use instead. I'm not wanting to pay $$$$ for whole unit, so I was wondering if there was software I could use with my Powerbook. If so, does anyone know how the programs work? Do they use wireless internet to determine where the car is and what direction it should go? Or do they use satellites like those spendy units? As you can probably figure, I'm completely ignorant about the GPS software/hardware stuff. If anybody has any information to give, I'd gladly take it! Thanks, Beth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All GPS software works by connecting a GPS unit to the laptop.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
bth44 said:
I looked on the forums about discussions about this in the past, and it didn't answer all of my questions. My friends and I are exploring a large city by car next month. I bought a metroguide at a bookstore, then I thought about GPS, and how much easier and safer it would be to use instead. I'm not wanting to pay $$$$ for whole unit, so I was wondering if there was software I could use with my Powerbook. If so, does anyone know how the programs work? Do they use wireless internet to determine where the car is and what direction it should go? Or do they use satellites like those spendy units? As you can probably figure, I'm completely ignorant about the GPS software/hardware stuff. If anybody has any information to give, I'd gladly take it! Thanks, Beth.

You need a GPD "mouse" and software, unfortunately the software for Macs is a little thin on the ground.

The other problem I've encountered is that existing software is set up for serial link GPS units rather than USB.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.