Buying my first Iphone HELP!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am going on holiday to the USA (currently live in the UK)
The Iphone 3Gs in the Apple store over there is $99
Can I walk into the Apple store and pick one up, or do I have to sign up to a contract?

And can I get it unlocked to another service provider over here and still use all of the features?

Please help!

Thanks
Joe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi Everyone!

I am going on holiday to the USA (currently live in the UK)
The Iphone 3Gs in the Apple store over there is $99
Can I walk into the Apple store and pick one up, or do I have to sign up to a contract?

And can I get it unlocked to another service provider over here and still use all of the features?

Please help!

Thanks
Joe.

You can buy a phone without contract, but it will cost you far more than $99. AT&T or Apple will not unlock it for you as all iPhones sold in the US are locked to AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
and fyi; the 3G that is actually $99 is a 8Gb.

i can double check but i've heard of a few folks/friends from the Netherlands that bought a cheap iPhone here in the US and took it overseas.

C

chas_m

You'd probably want to buy an iPhone in a country where they sell them unlocked. Like Canada (we don't have them yet, but I'm led to understand that they will be unlocked here because we have multiple carriers)! Maybe you should shift your tourism dollars a bit north. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.