Trying to switch from windows to mac

Reaction score
So I just got my macbook for college and I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to it. I'm exploring how to do it so its not too bad but I don't want to run into problems later on. basically I keep trying to do things the way I would on a windows computer but that just doesn't work well on a mac. Can you guys post basic things you learned how to do on a mac that would be different from a windows computer? like if I want to find a file on a windows computer I would go to start>computer>my documents. So where is the equivalent on mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
To find a file just use SPOTLIGHT. It is the magnifying glass in the top right corner of your LCD. I adjusted to the Mac quickly, I believe you will also.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The equivalent would be Finder:

20100703-m95p6x7pc155ah8cxxfhydkjyh.jpg

Enjoy.

C

chas_m

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I would suggest you visit Switch 101, Mac 101 and the iLife tutorials for starters. MyFirstMac.com is another good resource, and of course if there's one near you, the local Mac User Group might be a good choice as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
First thing I'd suggest is stop trying to make it work like Windows because it's not Windows. It's a totally different OS. It's like trying to make a car with standard transmission work like one with automatic transmission. You're just going to get frustrated and hate it.

Next thing I'd recommend is checking out the tutorials for new switchers on the Apple website. They're short and explain some of the basic differences, as well as answer many of the most common questions switchers have.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Main things that Windows switchers have trouble adjusting to:

- The green Zoom button does not "maximize" windows, only expands them enough to reveal a window's content. There is a free tool called RightZoom that will make the Zoom button behave like a Windows minimize button in most applications.

- Closing an application's Window does not close the program itself. You must choose Quit from the applications menu or press Command+Q.

- The Finder is the Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer. You can browse through your files, change the view (list, icon or cover flow view), and the sidebar on the left gives you shortcuts to popular folders on your HD (and is customizable).

- From the Apple icon menu at the top left of your menu bar, choose System Preferences and tinker around with the options there to make your Mac work exactly the way you want it to (including enabling right-clicks).

- To delete an application, just drag it to the trash and empty it. Some large programs may require an uninstaller, and if you're not sure, just download a free application like AppCleaner to completely delete an application.

That's all I can think of to start with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.