Missing Installer Utility?

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the new iPhone4, and I'm trying to install iTunes 9.2 on my iBook G4 (groan, I know, I know). Running OS version 10.4.11.

When I downloaded the .dmg file and went to open it, I received an error message asking me to choose an application to open the file with. This has been happening with other programs I try to download for almost six months and I've always chocked it up to the age of my computer.

After reading this thread, I have been thinking maybe my system just isn't recognizing the .mpkg file. I downloaded the RCDefaultApp as recommended and went through the steps outlined to get to the PrefPane, but when I went to take this step, "Then set the Installer (in Applications/Utilities) as the default application," I could find no "Installer" in the Utilities folder.

Is this normal? If not, how can I get the Installer Utility back? Are there other recommendations for the issue I'm having installing iTunes 9.2? I'm unable to properly setup my iPhone4 until I get this version of iTunes running, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums, we hope you do indeed find the experience "bloodymahvelous" ;).

Use Cmd-F (Finder) to look for Installer, it may have been moved to an obscure location.

If it really has 'disappeared', then you have the option of reinstalling it from the original Tiger install disk, using Pacifist Pacifist - Usage.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did a search for the Installer, but all of the folders that were found named 'Installer' were empty.

I no longer have the Tiger disk, so I was unable to re-intstall the Installer that way. I tried opening the iTunes 9.2 file with Pacifist, and had the files unpackaged. When I went to open the iTunes file, I received an error message that the files were corrupted.

I appreciate the feedback--any other suggestions? Or corrections if I went about something the wrong way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
As I understand it - because I've never had to use it - Pacifist will only work with the OS disk inserted should you want an OS feature, eg. Installer, to load.

The G4 iBook was issued originally with OS 10.3, so do you have those (black) disks? Do you have any OS disks?

Essentially, as Installer is part of the MacOS you're seriously obstructed in terms of what you can do without OS disks. There is of course the option of taking your iBook to an Apple service centre to have the OS restored (Archive & Install).

Reaction score
As I understand it - because I've never had to use it - Pacifist will only work with the OS disk inserted should you want an OS feature, eg. Installer, to load.

The G4 iBook was issued originally with OS 10.3, so do you have those (black) disks? Do you have any OS disks?

Essentially, as Installer is part of the MacOS you're seriously obstructed in terms of what you can do without OS disks. There is of course the option of taking your iBook to an Apple service centre to have the OS restored (Archive & Install).

Download the Mac OS X 10.4 CD from a Torrent Site.

This is not illegal Because all your doing is getting is the install Disc which you already bought and installed. In short terms "You bought it, You Own a License, Your entitled to make/download The Program/OS again".

And Like he Said. Use Pacifist and Get the Installer App. Or if you cannot Find it. Do an Archive and Install of Mac OS X Tiger :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Discussing the use of torrents to download MacOS is against forum rules, never mind the legalities (as they apply in Japan). All you do by mentioning it is to get this thread closed, which is no help at all to the person seeking advice in Post #1.

[Mods - please edit, but do not close this thread. The OP probably needs further assistance. Thanks .... Hugh]

Reaction score
Discussing the use of torrents to download MacOS is against forum rules, never mind the legalities (as they apply in Japan). All you do by mentioning it is to get this thread closed, which is no help at all to the person seeking advice in Post #1.

[Mods - please edit, but do not close this thread. The OP probably needs further assistance. Thanks .... Hugh]

The Thing is. Its Legal, He Already Owns it. In the Apple Legal Terms he is aloud to get Another Copy BY LAW. This Includes Torrenting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Download the Mac OS X 10.4 CD from a Torrent Site.

This is not illegal Because all your doing is getting is the install Disc which you already bought and installed. In short terms "You bought it, You Own a License, Your entitled to make/download The Program/OS again".

And Like he Said. Use Pacifist and Get the Installer App. Or if you cannot Find it. Do an Archive and Install of Mac OS X Tiger :D

The Thing is. Its Legal, He Already Owns it. In the Apple Legal Terms he is aloud to get Another Copy BY LAW. This Includes Torrenting

Unfortunately, US Law does not agree with you on that. Torrents are not an authorized, legal distribution channel for Mac OS X.

He is allowed another copy, which is not by law but rather the terms of his license agreement, which is his own personal backup media that he created from his original disks. Not a torrent site.

As such, recommending someone torrent Mac OS X is technically against the forum rules, and I suggest you go about finding a new solution to recommend.

My suggestion, the poster should call Apple and request new OS disks for his Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.