• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

A great thing no one has mentioned about OSX on x86

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
Ive read the majority of the threads arguing about how great osx on x86 is/isnt.

Im still with the i love my powerPC and not switching crowd.

No one has mentioned this (i dont think)

However , a neat thing about osx, its basically BSD underneith, which is a unix variant.

Most things that run on linux will in fact run on bsd. AND, there is that Fink is it? for osx? anyways theres portage for osx, compile linux apps.

So logic would only dictate, that we could in fact RUN Wine, Winex, and crossover office, meaning, you get osx, AND windows, AND linux.

3 OSes in 1

And if youve played with winex, you can run apps like 3DSmax, Cinema4d, premeire, with pretty good speeds. And crossover office 4.0 has full direct x as far as i know.

Maybe jobs has a plan to release free packages for windows emulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well you can also just install windows on your mac box, but your basically right.

There was a special edition of the maccast podcast that discussed this too.

A mac computer will be the most compatible machine on the market - it runs all 3 of the major OS's!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
im kinda happy about that. However since i just bought a dual G5 PM, im not lol.

And when can we see SMP intel machines hmm? i hate x86, but IF im going to have to get it, its atleast 2 cpus or nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I kinda want intell procc in macs. I feel like that way I won't need two systems or vpc and I can actually do a dual boot of mac os 10.5 and longhorn..

Reaction score
MadSkillzMan said:
im kinda happy about that. However since i just bought a dual G5 PM, im not lol.

And when can we see SMP intel machines hmm? i hate x86, but IF im going to have to get it, its atleast 2 cpus or nothing

Intel should have dual-core Pentium Ms by 2007.

F

falltime

homer_j said:
Hi,

Don't want to take this off topic or anything but have you read this.. Not sure that it will have any drastic effect on apple but who knows..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4629963.stm

While I cannot provide you WITH a direct link unless you're subscribed to the Wall Street Journal, I will provide with you with a short snippet. It is interesting to note that after the announcement, Intel actually gained ground on the market and FBR&C actually raised it's rating from market perform to outperform.

I'm assuming its because most analysts feel this lawsuit honestly indicates strength in Intel and frustration in AMD.

We will not be seeing any kind of ruling for the next 2-3 years - well after most analysts will have established whether or not Apple's partnership with Intel was beneficial. So I wouldn't worry about how this will affect Apple at all.

WE ARE UPGRADING our rating on Intel to Outperform from Market Perform.

Intel will now have at least a one-year advantage over Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) in 65nanometer manufacturing, providing it with a significant cost advantage over AMD. We believe this will be beneficial to Intel's margins in 2006.

AMD's lawsuit suggests a near-term pause in its share gains. Whether AMD's frustration is the result of anti-competitive behavior by Intel is a matter for the courts. We do not expect the issue to be resolved for 18 to 24 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.