Kernel Panic?

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a Macbook Pro and I brought it with me on a month-long trip. Back at home, it worked perfectly fine. There were absolutely no signs of having any sort of issues. It was also shutted down correctly and properly. However, on the plane, I pulled it out and it was suddenly and severely much slower than usual. The white start-up screen with the gray apple logo took much longer than usual, and once it reached the desktop screen, everything was all laggy and froze up every now and then. I shut it down and tried it again: same thing occurred.

Then, after reaching my destination and getting to the place I was staying at, I thought that maybe I should try updating my Mac software. I realized this was probably not a good idea. Anyways, it said that there was an available update, and so I let it install. The installation process went fine until the end when it said that there was an error. The next time I turned it on again, it was once again acting all slow and laggy, but a message popped up and said that some font was removed but reinstalled because it has to be displayed on the desktop screen. Also, I have iCal in my dock and I realized the the font used to display the date changed. I tried opening iCal and it said there was an error. Then my computer froze and so I turned it off.

I then googled for solutions.

I tried starting it up in safe mode. It went to the white start-up screen, but then some white text on black appeared. It said:

--------------------------------------------------------

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a96e6): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:706
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

[and then there were a bunch of letter-and-number codes]

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (105.6.0)@0x751e5000->0x75204fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PM
System model name: MacBookPro7,1 (Mac-F222BEC8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 585441047

And then on top there was a black rectangle that told me to restart my computer (it said this in 5 different languages). It kind of looks like this but with white text on a black rectangle and has 5 languages instead of 4: http://www0.info.apple.com/images/kbase/106227/106227_2.jpg

I tried the fsck method. At first, it worked really well and cleared up a bunch of errors, but at the end, it pretty much just did the same things over and over again and kept saying that it attempted to repair 3 times but it could not do it.

I tried the Command-Option-P-R and waited after 3 chimes. It did not do anything.

I do not have my installation Snow Leopard disc with me, but I know I have it at home. I would however prefer to just get it fixed right on the trip because I have a lot of time to do so.
I also brought my Time Machine backup external harddrive with me, but the last time I backed up was about a month ago and I have some files on my computer that are not backed up that I would like to keep. So I would prefer not to completely reboot the whole thing, but if that's the only way to solve this problem, I guess I can...

I know this post is kind of long but if you can help me out, that'll be really awesome. Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only suggest ringing home for the SL install disc. Best trouble shooter about.

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a Macbook Pro and I brought it with me on a month-long trip. Back at home, it worked perfectly fine. There were absolutely no signs of having any sort of issues. It was also shutted down correctly and properly. However, on the plane, I pulled it out and it was suddenly and severely much slower than usual. The white start-up screen with the gray apple logo took much longer than usual, and once it reached the desktop screen, everything was all laggy and froze up every now and then. I shut it down and tried it again: same thing occurred.

Then, after reaching my destination and getting to the place I was staying at, I thought that maybe I should try updating my Mac software. I realized this was probably not a good idea. Anyways, it said that there was an available update, and so I let it install. The installation process went fine until the end when it said that there was an error. The next time I turned it on again, it was once again acting all slow and laggy, but a message popped up and said that some font was removed but reinstalled because it has to be displayed on the desktop screen. Also, I have iCal in my dock and I realized the the font used to display the date changed. I tried opening iCal and it said there was an error. Then my computer froze and so I turned it off.

I then googled for solutions.

I tried starting it up in safe mode. It went to the white start-up screen, but then some white text on black appeared. It said:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a96e6): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:706
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

[and then there were a bunch of letter-and-number codes]

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (105.6.0)@0x751e5000->0x75204fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PM
System model name: MacBookPro7,1 (Mac-F222BEC8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 585441047

And then on top there was a black rectangle that told me to restart my computer (it said this in 5 different languages). It kind of looks like this but with white text on a black rectangle and has 5 languages instead of 4: http://www0.info.apple.com/images/kbase/106227/106227_2.jpg

I tried the fsck method. At first, it worked really well and cleared up a bunch of errors, but at the end, it pretty much just did the same things over and over again and kept saying that it attempted to repair 3 times but it could not do it.

I tried the Command-Option-P-R and waited after 3 chimes. It did not do anything.

I do not have my installation Snow Leopard disc with me, but I know I have it at home. I would however prefer to just get it fixed right on the trip because I have a lot of time to do so.
I also brought my Time Machine backup external harddrive with me, but the last time I backed up was about a month ago and I have some files on my computer that are not backed up that I would like to keep. So I would prefer not to completely reboot the whole thing, but if that's the only way to solve this problem, I guess I can...

I know this post is kind of long but if you can help me out, that'll be really awesome. Thanks in advance :)

Hmm its looks Like you Kernel Is damaged Or You the Intel CPU Power management Kext is Broken. But Because you Have Mac OS X Snow Leopard you Have 2 Kernels! Lucky you! a 32 and 64 bit. Try Restarting your Mac Holding the 64 Keys. MAKE SURE TO HOLD THEM DOWN BEFORE THE GRAY SCREEN. Then Keep them down till the computer is boot up. Tell us How is Running Now!

Also the i5/i7 Models Are Having A LOT of trouble with this same Error. Good chance you are going to need to w8 for Mac OS X 10.6.5 or even Worse Mac OS X 10.7 :\

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmm its looks Like you Kernel Is damaged Or You the Intel CPU Power management Kext is Broken. But Because you Have Mac OS X Snow Leopard you Have 2 Kernels! Lucky you! a 32 and 64 bit. Try Restarting your Mac Holding the 64 Keys. MAKE SURE TO HOLD THEM DOWN BEFORE THE GRAY SCREEN. Then Keep them down till the computer is boot up. Tell us How is Running Now!

Also the i5/i7 Models Are Having A LOT of trouble with this same Error. Good chance you are going to need to w8 for Mac OS X 10.6.5 or even Worse Mac OS X 10.7 :\

Wait, which 64 keys are you talking about? Do you mean like every single key on the keyboard?

OP
S
Reaction score
skewered ques

Only suggest ringing home for the SL install disc. Best trouble shooter about.

Okay well if I'm going to have to do that, what exactly do I have to do with the disc? And would it delete all my files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As harry has pointed out, you really need your Snow Leopard DVD. You can always purchase another copy of Snow Leopard. In any event....

While the machine is having problems, don't use your Time Machine backup as that will only cause more problems. The SL DVD is used to boot the machine and run FSCK (verify and repair). You did say though that you used FSCK and it repaired errors but then it could no longer do repairs.

That would lead me to believe you may have a failing hard drive. That would also cause the kernel panics. Your best bet (since you have the backup with you) is to take it into an authorized Apple repair (if there is one where you are) and have them trouble shoot it. Your Apple warranty is good world wide and if it is a bad hard drive, it will be replaced for free.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
As harry has pointed out, you really need your Snow Leopard DVD. You can always purchase another copy of Snow Leopard. In any event....

While the machine is having problems, don't use your Time Machine backup as that will only cause more problems. The SL DVD is used to boot the machine and run FSCK (verify and repair). You did say though that you used FSCK and it repaired errors but then it could no longer do repairs.

That would lead me to believe you may have a failing hard drive. That would also cause the kernel panics. Your best bet (since you have the backup with you) is to take it into an authorized Apple repair (if there is one where you are) and have them trouble shoot it. Your Apple warranty is good world wide and if it is a bad hard drive, it will be replaced for free.

Regards.

For SL disc method, would that delete my files? And how exactly should I go about using it? Like what do I do after I insert it into the computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get your SL disc, pop it in and reboot, holding down 'C' after the chimes. Go to utilities in the Menu Bar, Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported on the state of your hard drive and if it is repairable. Keep us posted?

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay I'm going to see if I'll be able to get an SL disc tomorrow...I'll keep you guys updated...

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay I'm going to see if I'll be able to get an SL disc tomorrow...I'll keep you guys updated...

I'm not able to get my hands on an SL disc until when I get home...so I guess I'll just bear without my Macbook for the month.
I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me! It means a lot. Thank you :)

Oh one more question, if I were to use my SL disc, would it delete my files on my computer?

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright I got my SL disc now! It appears that even with that, the hard drive is still unable to be repaired. I've tried hitting the "Repair Disk" button at least 5 times already, and these keep popping up in red:

Incorrect number of thread records
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 162902 instead of 162898)
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 497109 instead of 497100)

and eventually it said,
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

then in black it says,
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

and in bold and in red, it says,
Error: Disc Utility can't repair this disk...disk, and restore your backed-up files.

A pop up says
Dsc Utility stopped repairing "Macintosh HD"
Disc Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disc, and restore your backed-up files.

Is there any way to fix this without having to completely reinstall the program? As I said before, I do have most of my files backed up, but there is still a lot of files that I would prefer to keep but they did not get backed up.

Thanks in advance!

C

chas_m

Disk Warrior ($100) would fix that for you, but I strongly suspect your hard drive is failing so the fix would only be temporary.

You NEED to back up EVERYTHING you want to save on that drive ASAP or you WILL lose it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Alright I got my SL disc now! It appears that even with that, the hard drive is still unable to be repaired. I've tried hitting the "Repair Disk" button at least 5 times already, and these keep popping up in red:

As we advised you before (go back thru this thread) your hard drive is more than likely failing. And again, since the machine is under warranty, take it on in to Apple and let them change it out for you. Make sure you have a current backup made before you do.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, I got it fixed! Thanks so much for all the help!

I ended up bringing it to the Apple Store and they got it all fixed for me :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Glad you got it fixed. Now start making backups.... ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Hi, I got it fixed! Thanks so much for all the help!

I ended up bringing it to the Apple Store and they got it all fixed for me :)

hey SushiRo11,
did they told you what caused this problem? And how do they fixed it? Did it took a long time?
I had the exact same problem as yours. Everytime I tried to start up the machine, it went to the white start-up screen with grey apple logo, but then the kernel panics log in white text on black appeared. And then on top of that there was a black rectangle that told me to restart my computer (it said this in 4/5 different languages).

The thing is I'm on a trip and only will be back to my country on the next 10 days.. Now I'm frustrated do not know what to do.. This is my First mbp and it's only 2 weeks old..

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
hey SushiRo11,
did they told you what caused this problem? And how do they fixed it? Did it took a long time?
I had the exact same problem as yours. Everytime I tried to start up the machine, it went to the white start-up screen with grey apple logo, but then the kernel panics log in white text on black appeared. And then on top of that there was a black rectangle that told me to restart my computer (it said this in 4/5 different languages).

The thing is I'm on a trip and only will be back to my country on the next 10 days.. Now I'm frustrated do not know what to do.. This is my First mbp and it's only 2 weeks old..

Thanks in advance

You're saying you're having the same problems that he is? Gee..I would get a SL disc going when you can. And after you get it fixed- start making backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.