• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Getting the Digital Copy

Reaction score
Hey I am just curious to know how many people actually use the Digital Copy dvd, to put the movie you just bought into iTunes. In case that sounds cryptic or tard'd, what I mean is I just bought The Crazies on Blu-ray, and it came with the digital edition, but I never use them for fear its installing more than just the movie in iTunes. Maybe thats the parinoid windows user still in me.

So how many ppl install the digital copy into iTunes? :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I do it - and do it on my Win7 box.

Actually, it downloads the movie from iTunes - it's not actually on the disc you pop in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I have done it with 4 or 5 of the newest Blu-ray disk that we have bought. I actually kinda like the idea. Keeps me from going out ripping the disk or downloading it from a torrent to get a digital copy. I keep them in itunes on my mac.

I'm going to get a digital copy of the movies I want, might as well give it to me when I buy the dvd/blu-ray. We watch I lot of our movies on the go, via iPhone, iPod, or an iPad if see in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I would rather rip-it so I can get a copy without any crap, just the movie and nothing else... especially true of Disney movies for the kids. If you don't rip-it and edit it to the movie only then the kids get hit with 15 minutes of commercial before they ever see the movie. Maybe its just me but when I buy the blasted movie I don't want to have to set through commercials. Lord on some DVDs you can't even bypass the commercials.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
thomas998 I kinda do the same thing, so I can just have the movie and put it straight in iTunes. But I might start using these digital copies, I mean I bought the dvd and there giving it for free. I wonder is there any difference in quality like you know in iTunes you can buy the normal movie and then the HD movie? So if I buy a bluray would the digital copy be the HD one, or normal one?

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
So I put in my disc and when I doubled clicked the iTunes icon to install it, it said I needed something called Roseta does anyone know what this is that it just installed on my system?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Because the movie is downloaded from iTunes, there is no junk along with it. You get just the movie.

The digital copy is the SD version so that you can put it on your mobile devices.

Have never seen it ask to install Rosetta or why you would even need it. Rosetta is software that emulates PPC code to enable an Intel Mac to be able to use software designed for PPC. Rosetta was installed by default with OSX up until Snow Leopard.

If it's wanting Rosetta installed, guess I'd be asking what version of OS X do you have and have you got the latest version of iTunes.

Even though they're SD, they still look darn good on my 58" plasma. They look good enough, I'm not wasting the time or the space to store the 25-40GB file on my server.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
running OS X 10.6.4 and iTunes fully up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I did it once, but honestly, if I have it on my computer, I want an HD version as well, not just an SD version. Granted, yes, I *may* want an SD version to play on a portable device, but many times I'd rather be able to play the movie through my comp on my TV thru Front Row. The upscaled SD video just doesn't come close to the quality I've come to expect.

If they start offering 720p as a digital edition download bundled with my bluray disc, I'd consider doing it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Most Intel Boxes don't have Rosetta installed Bob. My daughters didn't say anything about it until I installed Office 2004 on it, then it went a grabbed what it needed for Rosetta off the Apple server. Her Macbook was running the latest and greatest at the time. That just seems to be how it works. Same with my Wife's iMac after we upgraded her to 10.6.

LogicBox, let it download Rosetta, you've got nothing to worry about here. Remember, this isn't Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Can't say I've been asked to have rosetta before. I agree with baggss, though. It's a trustworthy download.

Once you put in the disc, open up I-tunes and click on the disc in the side bar. It'll ask you to type in the code included with the blu ray, and then it'll download, which for me takes about 5 or 10 minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.