application folder on dock

Reaction score
hi i am a newbie on mac, i deleted my applications folder from the dock by mistake i used finder to get the folder back i dragged it back onto the dock but it has come up with the address book symbol but it does say applications when i put the mouse over it and all my applications are in the folder how do i put the correct symbol back on it many thanks in advance for any help or ideas xx:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
welcome, right-click and choose "Folder"...

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome and swift reply do i right click on the folder in the dock, its so different to windows lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean "nothing happens"? Right click should bring up a menu where you can then choose how you wish the folder to be displayed. Where did you place the folder on the dock? Did you place it to the right of the separator mark or to the left? It has to placed on the right.

Also, please do not crosspost.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
thanks for the welcome and swift reply do i right click on the folder in the dock, its so different to windows lol

you're welcome..

add to my reputation... the little green square's getting lonely :}

OP
O
Reaction score
many thanks guys for all your help i am work now but tomorrow i will try again. when i right click on the icon in the dock i dont get any options nothing happens at all.
do i have right click and hold for so long.
thanks again i am sure i will master a mac soon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
many thanks guys for all your help i am work now but tomorrow i will try again. when i right click on the icon in the dock i dont get any options nothing happens at all.
do i have right click and hold for so long.

No. I can't time a blink to miss the split second delay!

I suspect some corruption in your Dock. The way to find out is painless. Find this:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
...and move it to the Desktop.
Restart. This makes a new default plist file in Preferences.
Now see if a right click produces a menu...

C

chas_m

A lot of people don't realise that they have to SET the Mac mouse to be a two-button mouse. It's not the default behaviour on less-recent models.

You can set this under the "Mouse" settings in system preferences. If you'd prefer not to, just hold the control key (third key to the left of the spacebar) and click, that emulates a "right-click." Doing this to your "applications folder" on the dock will give you the "Display as" options of "folder" or "stack." You evidently have "Stack" chosen at the moment, changing that to "Folder" is what you want.

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks alot every one i feel such a burk i didnt realise you had to change the settings on the mouse thanks for all your time and patience with me, i have managed to do the icons in the dock, i will get the hang off it soon i promise lol it is so different to windows but more enjoyable and i certanly will be staying with mac thanks again hope you all have a great day were ever you are in this world xx:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.