• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is the best mac dvd ripper and format converter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" [email protected]
I would like to backup some of my movies and change the formats of some .mov, wma, avi etc to mp4. What would be the best program to do this???
Thankyou

C

chas_m

Given that this forum follows the laws of the US, and what you're asking about is illegal there, I doubt you'll get an answer. We're a bit more free here in Canada. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Given that this forum follows the laws of the US, and what you're asking about is illegal there, I doubt you'll get an answer. We're a bit more free here in Canada. :)

Actually he's said nothing illegal, he never mentioned they're commercial DVDs, just his movies, which could be home movies or other non-copyrighted material. You can infer into what he says, but we choose to give the benefit of the doubt until actually stated otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Handbrake: HandBrake - will rip non-encrypted DVDs and will take many file formats as an input (including mts) and convert to mp4, m4v or mkv - free

mpegstreamclip: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows - converts from/to a wide variety of formats - free

.wma and .wmv *may* cause problems. To convert (at least the wmv) with mpegstreamclip I *think* you need the paid flip4mac version that supports converting wmv files (the free version only supports playback)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This is good software also:

RipIt

Reaction score
I used to use "Prism Video Converter" software. It is available for free on the internet. It is amazing program. You can choose any format you like. Actually, it is also compressing the video files in the same time. It is very effective.:D

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" [email protected]
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah i jus wanted to convert some videos that i made with photo booth to mp4 so i could upload to youtube =]

Reaction score
Hand Break

Hey I use hand break it really is excellent and very fast. I normally rip into H264 as keeps in in full HD at around 700MB.

A lot of my friends also use it as it is very relaiable and very quick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.