Mac OS 8.6...Ok for a 4 year-old?

B

badmojo

I'm looking to get an iMac G3 from ebay for my 4 year-old daughter so she can have her own computer, play around with it, and play her favorite internet flash games. I know very little about OS' this old, but I want the iMac to be able to connect to my wireless network via a USB adapter.

My questions are:

1) Does this OS have a web browser?

2) If I have to upgrade it, can I get it to OS 9 or X (see below for config).

My minimum configuration for an iMac would be:

400 mHz
256 mb ram
Slot-load drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
badmojo said:
I'm looking to get an iMac G3 from ebay for my 4 year-old daughter so she can have her own computer, play around with it, and play her favorite internet flash games. I know very little about OS' this old, but I want the iMac to be able to connect to my wireless network via a USB adapter.

My questions are:

2) If I have to upgrade it, can I get it to OS 9 or X (see below for config).

My minimum configuration for an iMac would be:

400 mHz
256 mb ram
Slot-load drive
It will probably be fine for your daughter but if I was you i would but the imac, get a copy of jaguar and throw that on there you/she will be much more satisfied with that then os 8. I dont know if os 8 can do flash and java

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
That mac will easily run OS X Panther. I have a friend who runs Panther successfully on a 366Mhz iBook with 128 MB ram. It is a little sluggish once a few programs get running, but even that would fit the requirements of your daughter. 400 Mhz with 256 MB ram would be more than enough to eliminate a lot of that sluggishness...

OP
S

sonofapplepm

My 3 and 6 year olds use 10.3, In my opinion it is much easier to use than even OS 9. The iMac should have no problems with OS 10 or higher. I believe that you have to install 9.2 first before you install Jaguar or higher!
My 366 mhz clamshell with 320mb ram runs Panther just fine for all of my family's everyday type tasks! Hope this helps!

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
sonofapplepm said:
I believe that you have to install 9.2 first before you install Jaguar or higher!
yes that is true the disks are available on apple's website ill see if i can find them for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The disks used to be on apple's site but i guess they took them off so i found them here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

ANSWER:

Well, OS 10 has a web browser built in which is called Safari. If U have decided to stick with either OS 9 or 8.6, U could get a free download of internet explore for mac or netscape navigator.

BTW i If U don't like Safari, U could also get a free download of FireFox.

Cheers!!

MacEfan :headphone :headphone :headphone :headphone

OP
B

badmojo

Great stuff, thanks. I'm still having trouble finding a wireless USB networking adapter, though. I've checked MacMall and ClubMac and they do list the aforementioned but none of them are mac-compatible. I went to the mfg websites and they list Windows as the only supported OS. Anyone know where to find one?

I'm also wondering if I can just use another router as a [wirless] bridge to my existing router, and plug the iMac into an ethernet port on it. The Airport Express would probably work, but I don't want to spend $100+. Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I've found most wireless stuff won't say it's Mac compatible, but it really is. I'd just buy one from your local best buy or whatever, and then you can return it if it doesn't work. Most will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
badmojo said:
Great stuff, thanks. I'm still having trouble finding a wireless USB networking adapter, though. I've checked MacMall and ClubMac and they do list the aforementioned but none of them are mac-compatible. I went to the mfg websites and they list Windows as the only supported OS. Anyone know where to find one?

I'm also wondering if I can just use another router as a [wirless] bridge to my existing router, and plug the iMac into an ethernet port on it. The Airport Express would probably work, but I don't want to spend $100+. Ideas?

At a last resort U can pick up an apple airport card and put it in your imac. For the slot loading imac this isn't very difficult to do. Also any D-Link router should work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.