Bootcamp assistant Issues

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've had a Macbook Pro for about a 10/11 months now so i know my way around OS X. However the problem i'm having is working out how bootcamp assistant works.

I've attempted to partition my hard drive with about 36GB for Windows Vista basic. But when it says the drive is partitioning i get this error message

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Forgive my ignorance but is this a necessary step?

I've used Time machine to back up my files onto an external hard drive already.

Is there a video guide or any guide on how to resolve this issue, it's really making me angry because Apple makes this seem like such an easy process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately your choices are few. You can either follow the directions given you by the Boot Camp assistant (backup, erase, reinstall, restore from TM) or you can try using third party software.

The problem you're running into is that there is not enough contiguous free space to create the BC partition. In other words your disk is fragmented.

If you wish, buy iDefrag ($29.95) and use it to defragment the drive and try again.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Why should i need to buy a new programme just to defragment my hard drive. All i wanted was to install Vista onto my Macbook Pro and it's caused me no end of stress, 6 hours of trawling the internet to find out i have to buy a programme.

Would a visit to the Genius bar be a good idea, this macbook is still within warranty so i should be covered right ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The process is generally easy - it becomes difficult once you use your computer for a while. If you were to run bootcamp assistant on a new install it would go very smoothly. The problem comes along because as you use your computer OSX starts putting files across the drive. If there isn't much data then it is easy to find a continuous block on the drive. Once you have a fairly full drive then this issue usually crops up.

You don't need to buy the defrag program - but it is a easier solution than wiping, installing, restoring.

If you are under warranty then you should be able to take it to the apple store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you backup your machine prior to taking it to the Apple store. What they may do to resolve the problem is erase and reinstall. That means you'll lose everything if it's not backed up. Use Time Machine or a cloning program.

Or, you can ask the genius to defrag the drive for you. They have the software to do it.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
is mabel

Okay guys, i've taken what you said into consideration and decided to get a teacher at my school to sort it, he's an Apple fanboy in the best way possible and i discussed with him how to sort it out. He said to wipe the hard drive i need to be running the OS from the original CD that comes with the Mac otherwise you can't erase the drive. So in about 2 weeks i should be sorted with it all, i can wait and i'd rather not have to deal with apple or any resellers or service providers. But if you guys could clarify that this would be the correct route to take and if it's a sensible one, thanks.

You've been very helpful so far, probably the best forum i've found that can help with this issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the recommendation you were given after your first post. If you have someone who is familiar with Apple hardware and can do the work for you, that's fine. Just make sure he really knows what he's doing... ;D

And make a backup first! Good luck.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.