Finder Closes when I try to open Macintosh HD

Reaction score
I've just noticed this happening tonight. I did perform todays Mac Update but I don't know if they are related.

Whenever I try to open "Macintosh HD" (my boot drive) the Finder closes. Does anyone know what the solution could be?

I can go into other folders and harddrives except for "Macintosh HD"

I was able to run a "verify disk" and it said there were errors so I did a reboot to my Snow Leopard start up disk and was able to repair the errors.

I also ran the "repair permissions" thing and it repaired all errors.

This problem is still happening. I've googled everything I can think of and can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. I'd rather not have to reimage the machine.

Upon further investigation I've noticed that the problem seemed to have started on June 20th. I can access the back-up folders of my Time Machine for "Macintosh HD" for all dates prior but starting on the 20th if I try to access the Macintosh HD backup folder, Finder shuts down just as it does with the current Macintosh HD.

Any ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
I think I solved it

I tried the deleting the .DS_Store and that did't work.

Upon further research, I deleted com.apple.finder.plist and that seemed to do the trick. I'm now able to view the contents of Macintosh HD.

A couple of funny things though.

• I'm not able to see anything but in the icons view, trying to change it to list, coverflow or columns shuts Finder down.
  • In addtion to my normal system folders there are several files with gibberish names. I'm curious as to if these are normal files. I've included a screen capture below:

http://joshbur****.smugmug.com/Computers/Screen-Shots/Roberts-Family-1/920249836_niKgF-X3.jpg

replace **** with ****

What do you all think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
  • I'm not able to see anything but in the icons view, trying to change it to list, coverflow or columns shuts Finder down.
  • In addtion to my normal system folders there are several files with gibberish names. I'm curious as to if these are normal files. I've included a screen capture below:

Those are Finder related too, of course. What OS version do you have? (ya know, you're asking about an OS issue...)

Sometimes reinstalling the OS with the same version using the Combo updater solves a problem or two.

By the way, "post bumps" are frowned upon. Be patient. Some people can't be here 24/7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.