Internet browsing problem

Reaction score
Hi, I am a relatively new Macbook user, and I have been having an odd problem with my computer. When I go to certain websites, including Meetup.com and Statcounter, on my home wireless system, these pages will not open. I have tried both Safari and Firefox and neither seems to work. When these pages are trying to open, I can see in Firefox that the computer is "waiting for google-analytics.com." I also have a problem with unwanted pop-ups, sometimes Google search pages, but occasionally random sales sites.

I tried to go to the same sites using a university's wireless account and a coffeehouse's wireless account yesterday, and all sites worked without any problems and no unwanted sites popped up. So I am guessing there is something wrong with our firewall at home. But what is weird is that my girlfriend has been experiencing no problems at all on her laptop (she has had no problems opening Meetup, etc). Any suggestions?

OP
C
Reaction score
additional detail

Note: when I look at the history for my browser, I see some variation of the following, wyciwyg://163/http://meetup.com, instead of seeing "Meetup.com" or the page's actual URL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.