• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Divx and thumbdrives, Please help me find movie bliss

Reaction score
I thought I had found a perfect solution to my video needs. I have a Blu Ray player hooked up to my plasma that allows me to stick a thumbdrive in and it will play DIVX/avi encoded movies. My problem is that the Mac will not allow you to load a single file that is larger than 4 GB on a thumbdrive, and my movies usually are larger than that.

It looks like my only solution is to cut the avi files in half. I founnd what was supposed to be a freeware solution, Explicit to do just that, but I've downloaded it twice and it never has worked. It keeps saying every avi file has a damaged header, even though all the files are sound.

Is there another easy way to simply cut a file like this in half so I can load it into my thumbdrive?

Thanks for all the help!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The 4GB limit on the flashdrive isn't a Mac problem. That's the limitation of the FAT32 format.

C

chas_m

Check to see if your Blu-Ray player can read NTFS-formatted thumbdrives (I'd suggest a google search on the model of BR player plus NTFS). If it can, then reformat the thumbdrive to NTFS and install this on your Mac and you should be good to go.

OP
J
Reaction score
Check to see if your Blu-Ray player can read NTFS-formatted thumbdrives (I'd suggest a google search on the model of BR player plus NTFS). If it can, then reformat the thumbdrive to NTFS and install this on your Mac and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a try!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.