is it worth upgrading?

Reaction score
am thinking about upgrading my ram in my mbp 13"

the specs are:
Intel core 2 Duo 2.26
2 gb 1067 DDR3
256mb NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

am using it to model some 3d stuff and doing some video editing and AE so basically am using photoshop, illustrator, after effects, premiere and maya 2011 am thinking bout if it's worth it to upgrade my ram to say 4 gb or 8 gb would it make alot diff? in rendering and in performance...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It wouldn't hurt, but at the same time it won't speed up rendering times. That has to do more with processing power.

OP
A
Reaction score
but in performance like loading speed and stuff it would make a huge dif right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
One quick way to see if you will benefit is to check in Activity Monitor if you are using up your current RAM. To do so you should restart your computer to clear your RAM usage data and then open up Activity Monitor on restart. Leave it running in the background and then start using your editing applications like you normally would.

If you want to quickly see updates on your Activity Monitor then you can go into its View menu and in the Dock Icon select Show Memory Usage. If you hit your max RAM often then you will get a lot of Page Outs and Swap usage. It's not a perfect method but it will quickly show you if you are actually making full use of your current RAM.

I also agree with CR in that rendering times is more about the processor. If you see that your applications aren't using that much RAM then it's more about the processor.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok i think i would just upgrade my ram to 4 gig and thinking of buying a external hd so i could have a larger storage thanks for helping me decide what to do :D cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.