• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are the green squares?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini-2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3-OSX 10.6.3-160GB SATA-GeForce 9400
I know this may be kind of annoying to some people, but I have no idea and I thought I should ask. My question is: What are the green squares under the profile name when you post something? Sorry if it's obvious, but i just don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini-2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3-OSX 10.6.3-160GB SATA-GeForce 9400
So one green square is one reputation point, I take it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Kind of? You get more as you get more rep, but it's not one for every point. I'm not sure how many it is actually, but the admins could tell you if they wanted to. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
So one green square is one reputation point, I take it?

Haha I wish, then I would have like 1600 green squares!

It's pretty easy to rack up a few at first, but as you get more squares, you need more and more reputation points to get more squares. I'm not sure if the number of points corresponding to the green dots is posted anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
...but the admins could tell you if they wanted to. :)
They would then have to kill you to keep the secret. ;D Call me traditional but I prefer less killing on the forums. It makes it overall a nicer place without the killings. :)

What I've noticed so far with the point system that is newer members can only give out less points per person compared to veteran members. It doesn't seem like we can choose how many points to give each person so you automatically give out more points the more you get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That is correct. The amount of points you can give is commensurate with your own reputation. The higher your own reputation, the higher the points you give out. I think there are some members whose positive reputation yields 16-18 points.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks people! This helped :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That is correct. The amount of points you can give is commensurate with your own reputation. The higher your own reputation, the higher the points you give out. I think there are some members whose positive reputation yields 16-18 points.

It's a little more complex than that, but yes, your own reputation plays a big part in the equation. It also takes into account length of time on the forum as well as a few other factors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.