iPhoto help......

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using Mac for 2 years now but still new to it especially the software of which I need the expert here to provide me with some advice.

I am a photo freak and I would like to know whether we can link the photos on our drive directly instead of importing to iPhoto software every time which is time consuming and causing duplicates. Very often, when I copy my photos onto the laptop from memory card or external harddrive, I have to import them into iPhoto which I understand it will create duplicate copies in the iPhoto "hidden" folder.

So, my questions are:

1. Can I save it directly into the iPhoto "hidden" folder?
2. Or instead of importing the photos into iPhoto, can I link them on the original location located in the same machine or a separate external drive like Picasa?

Many thanks in advance to help me solve this problem asap.

Regards to all who are using Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
1. I wouldn't recommend doing that, it may confuse iPhoto
2. Sure, in the iPhoto preferences under Advanced, uncheck "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" Anything imported after this will be referenced.

OP
E
Reaction score
Many thanks McYukon!! 2nd point helps a lot... I should start exploring more of those options to understand Mac better....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.