Facebook won't load, do I have some kind of Mac virus or what?

Reaction score
So, I've had my Macbook for almost two years now and I don't really consider myself a Mac noob, but I have no idea what's up here and the only suggestions people have given me are that it could be a virus.

When I was trying to go to Facebook this morning, for some reason it just redirected me to some German site hosted on Google Sites. I had no idea why. I asked around on another message board I frequent and a couple friends on MSN and no one else was having any Facebook issues. Then it went away so I stopped worrying about it.

Since then I've started having trouble accessing Facebook again. It's not redirecting me to the same page, now it's just giving me a 404 error for some reason. Again, I know the site's not down because other people are on it right now, and I've tried it in both Chrome and Firefox to the same result.

I just downloaded ClamXav. Is there anywhere specific I should scan first? Is this even likely a virus? How much of a noob am I?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are no viruses, though there are a couple trojans that can be acquired by pirating software. Also, there was a piece of spyware circulating via screensavers and other software that was downloadable from VersionTracker and MacUpdate. If you aren't pirating software or didn't download the spyware-infected apps, then there's no chance you have anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Agreed. It's not a virus.

Most likely it's an ISP issue or something with your DNS servers. Have you taken your Macbook to other locations to see if it still happens?

OP
J
Reaction score
I haven't downloaded any new software in recent memory, apart from ClamXav, but that certainly wasn't illegal nor was it before the problem started.

I haven't had a chance to try any other wifi hotspots or anything yet today, but I will be heading out later in the evening to grab the last of my files off a school server, we'll see if I'm encountering the same issues there.

For the record, shortly after creating this topic it went back to normal, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Maybe it was a issue with Facebook then...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.