• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft kills kin 6 weeks after launch - LOL

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hum that's interesting...maybe that's why I haven't seen any commercials for this product, except on youtube?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad
Yeah, I read this on Gizmodo today. Not real shocking Microsoft pushes another product out and turns out to be flop. I also read that the number sold was well above 1,000 but far south from 10,000.

(apple sold 1.5 million iPhone 4's on the first day)

Apple-1
Microsoft-0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No surprise there. Why buy a crippled smartphone when you could have gotten a fully featured Droid or iPhone for the exact same price?

The data plan is what really killed the Kin. The price of the hardware and its features were enticing, but nobody was going to pay an additional $30 a month for their kid to be able to access their social networking sites from their phone.

This clearly shows the difference between Microsoft and Apple. Apple managed to get AT&T to offer affordable data plans for the iPad on launch. Microsoft either doesn't have the clout with cellular providers or simply did not think of working with Verizon to offer a cheaper data option for the Kin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just never understood the Kin UI. It just looked like a jumbled mess.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Died before I even knew it existed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thank You!!! Now I don't have to watch those stupid commercials anymore!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
watching a commercial right now. i always thought is was a stupid idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad
I just never understood the Kin UI. It just looked like a jumbled mess.

I agree looks like a bunch of clutter. I think they should have marketed to a different market say the stalker demographic, know what everyone is up to ALL THE TIME.

Reaction score
I've never even heard of this before. I feel kind of bad for it. At least it wasn't a slow death!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
This phone sucks. Kash got it right about the data plan pricing.

Also this phone is nothing but plastic. It feels cheap and doesn't have any functions besides the social networking features. I sold my first one yesterday and it was to a older lady who didn't speak english and doesn't even have a e-mail address. I told her she didn't want that phone but she insisted.

Glad they axed this phone and I can finally not see them in my store anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Here is a non-gizmodo link.
I know I know, but I just hate gizmodo with every fibre of my being.

Microsoft Kin is dead -- Engadget

Died before I even knew it existed.
And this is a good point. We know about Apple products before they are even released. And the Kin. Developed, released, recalled and shot out the back of the MS office in Redmond all before many people knew the things even existed. What a waste of money for MS that little debacle was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I thought Microsoft was crazy for releasing the Kin, such an ugly phone. It just didn't have a lot of appeal to me as a consumer, and obviously everybody else didn't think it was that great.

Hopefully a lesson learned for their Windows Phone 7!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
See, I thought the Kin One was really cute, and I was totally considering getting one, but an extra $30 a month for what is essentially an "enhanced" messaging phone was way too much.

I'd pay the extra $30 if it were a full fledged smartphone, and even then, I'm paying like, $25 extra now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.