Problems with Photoshop CS5

Reaction score
When I try to save for web and devices, it gives me this error message:

Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%2011.06.59%20AM.png

When I quit PS, it gives me this message:

Screen%20shot%202010-06-30%20at%203.34.04%20AM.png

This is quite frustrating as I just purchased the application.

It also crashes quite frequently.

I had a problem where it would crash or hang whenever I tried to use the Type Tool, though I removed all my custom fonts and the problem was resolved.

I've installed the app, uninstalled it, and re-installed it... and yet these problems persist.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as this is supremely frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you repaired permissions? You can do that using Disk Utility.

OP
B
Reaction score
I clicked the repair permissions button in disk utility... that's all I have to do?

I repaired my internal/boot drive, which is the right one?

I'll give that another shot right now, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming this is a legit install of Photoshop CS5? You may need to call Adobe for support on this. I haven't been able to find any solutions via Google and if repairing permissions didn't fix it, I'm not sure what the cause could be.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think this problem may have stemmed from myself copying over all my files from my old HD and not putting them in the correct places. *facepalm*

I had all my applications located somewhere I have a feeling they should not have been... not within my user folder.

Copying everything over now, hopefully this solves everything.

Edit, this did not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this problem may have stemmed from myself copying over all my files from my old HD and not putting them in the correct places. *facepalm*

I had all my applications located somewhere I have a feeling they should not have been... not within my user folder.

Copying everything over now, hopefully this solves everything.

Edit, this did not work.

Have you tried reinstalling from the discs? Adobe's stuff uses weird copy protection to ensure it's a legit copy so if you're messing with individual files you may need to reinstall or worst case, wipe the software and completely start over.

OP
B
Reaction score
The problem is my permissions. Which is weird because it is an admin account. I made a new admin account and opened the app and there were no problems. I'm out ATM but I'm making a bootable backup at home right now. The repair permissions option in disk utility oddly enough did not fix the problem even though I thought this is what it addressed. I don't have a disc, only a serial number though after reinstalling, the problem was still there.

So my next question would be, is there a way to change the main admin account on the computer? I'll just give it admin privileges and then if I could somehow replace (or delete) the main account.... I think I would have no issues.... Is there a way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Did you try doing what the dialog said? Are you trying to edit an old Photoshop file not created by CS5? Sometimes when you transfer files from one hard drive to the next it changes the read and write permissions.

Try doing as the dialog says and right-click the file you are working on in Finder and then choose Get Info. At the bottom where it says Sharing & Permissions make sure that your privileges is read & write instead of read only.

With Photoshop you should not be manually copying anything over from your old HD or previous computer. Any previous preferences you want from the old system should be saved and exported in Photoshop and then loaded into your new Photoshop version. I set all my Photoshop menu preferences manually myself in the new version to avoid any conflicts from the old version.

I've been told that Photoshop and other Adobe suite programs are one of the few applications that doesn't like to be migrated over to a new system. You really should start from scratch with a fresh install and don't manually copy over any Adobe system folders which will replace Adobe's current system folders. Photoshop created files such as PSD should be okay.

When you uninstall you should use Adobe's uninstaller and even then it leaves some stuff behind. Your problem could be that you corrupted some Adobe system files when you copy over your old files. If your problem persist then calling Adobe's help support would be a good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.