Can I do this with my iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
I'd like to be able to use headphones to listen to my iPad AND to my bass guitar at the same time. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to do this? Is there a device into which I could plug my bass (or my bass amp) AND my iPad and then listen to both? I don't need volume controls on the device--I could use the controls on my bass (or amp) and iPad. This is for the purpose of learning songs.

Thanks!

Bruce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I don't have any specific recommendations, but it seems that some kind of mixer would do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not for the iPad but one is available for the MacBook/Pro called an Apogee Duet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I was thinking more along the lines of a hardware mixer and not a piece of software or an app.

Reaction score
many ways

there are many ways to do this actually. What amp do you have, your amp may already be capable of doing this on it's own (many are).

If your amp has a line input or an effects loop you can probably do this with no added hardware.

If you need or want to buy a third dvice there are many to choose from. a GREAT and very high quality solution is the Cafe Walter (do a search for this on whatever search engine you use).

If you're willing to spend a fair bit, the absolute best option for this is the PJB bass buddy. It's very pricey, but it's also a first class preamp, compressor, DI, and can even power a speaker on it's own (only 5W, but it's obviously a practice thing). Fantastic sound.

If both of these are too expensive and your amp has no way of doing this on it's own, I recommend an inexpensive mixer (non-powered) such as a used 5 channel yamaha from a local guitar shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini-2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3-OSX 10.6.3-160GB SATA-GeForce 9400
The Lazy Method

The lazy way to do it would be to get two in-ear headphones. Then plug one into the amp for your bass and the other into your iPad. Then put one earbud from each headphones into your ears.

You might need an adapter that is 6.25mm (older model amps) to 3.5mm (headphones) for this way.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
VonStoven,

I want to look into this Cafe Waiter device but am having trouble finding it. Can you give me a few more keywords? Who makes it?

Google thinks I'm asking questions about restaurants!

Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
Doh! Never mind! I didn't have my reading glasses on so didn't see that it said "Cafe Walter" NOT "Cafe Waiter".

:)

Reaction score
I sometimes play my digital piano along with my iPod by using in ear headphones from iPod covered by cup headphones over the top from the piano. An easy solution for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.