Change default media player

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to change the default media player for video to VLC Player. I'm running 10.3.9. I right-click a video file, and acknowledge that there's an 'Open With' section. However, although I can change each file individually for which media player to open a file, the 'Change All' selection is greyed out. Why is this?

**Edit. I tried seleting the 'other' option, and ticking the 'always open' option with vlc player selected, but a dialog box informed me I don't have permission to do this?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to change the default media player for video to VLC Player. I'm running 10.3.9. I right-click a video file, and acknowledge that there's an 'Open With' section. However, although I can change each file individually for which media player to open a file, the 'Change All' selection is greyed out. Why is this?

**Edit. I tried seleting the 'other' option, and ticking the 'always open' option with vlc player selected, but a dialog box informed me I don't have permission to do this?

Right Click on the a Movie
on that Pain click the Opens with Pain/Triangle
Change to VLC
then Select this for every file with this format
his yes
Done :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hey guys,
I'm trying to change the default media player for video to VLC Player. .... I don't have permission to do this?

You've answered your own question in a way. Try repairing permissions, using Onyx v 1.5.3 from Titanium Software.

Interesting about the greyed-out feature though. I just tested a Preview file with Get Info and Open With. Only when I changed the Open With application did the Change All button become available.

So, when seeking to change the default application to open your video files, change just one of them to VLC through the Get Info pane and see if the Change All button shows up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.