Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nice picture !
Any specific question you like to ask ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Take it to a Genius Bar. Ask them to Defrag the Drive. If they say they "cannot" Say there lying and have a copy of Disk Warrior on there netboot servers

What?

Reaction score

There is a System File in the End Sector of the HD. Thats why BootCamp Cannot move it Because Mac OS X is using it and that is ware the file system is being shrinked. So in a end Result the Disc Needs Defragged to move all the Files to the front part of the Disc, Making an End result of those files being moved away from ware bootcamp if shrinking the partition. Basic Computer Science

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think that your studies are leading you to be a little over zealous with your presumptions of what's going on, and to suggest that a member of this forum approach Apple genius bar with that sort of attitude is just way out there!

Reaction score
I think that your studies are leading you to be a little over zealous with your presumptions of what's going on, and to suggest that a member of this forum approach Apple genius bar with that sort of attitude is just way out there!

No im just telling him what to do. And ur Trying to start a Flame war. So let me try to justify wat i was trying to do. If they say you do not need to defrag a Mac, say you already know that the Apple store has a Mac Defrag Program on ur Netboot Sever. I used to Work as a Apple Genius

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way.... before you continue, a reinstall and starting over will fix it without a trip to Apple. The assumption by me obviously that the OP has a backup.
The aim is obviously to gain enough contiguous free space!
A clone of OS X back and forth will fix that :)

Reaction score
By the way.... before you continue, a reinstall and starting over will fix it without a trip to Apple. The assumption by me obviously that the OP has a backup.
The aim is obviously to gain enough contiguous free space!
A clone of OS X back and forth will fix that :)

But a Reinstall can take Hours. And might not fix the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not trying to start a flame war, but a clone wouldn't take too long, and has good chance (great chance) of fixing it. A trip backwards and forwards to Apple, with the appointment, can take hours, or days, and cost a pretty penny!
I just didn't want to see a member taking your advice, with that sort of approach.
We don't know for sure what the problem is, as that message has come up many times in different instances, but if it is to do with contiguous space, then a clone is a great starting point.

Reaction score
Not trying to start a flame war, but a clone wouldn't take too long, and has good chance (great chance) of fixing it. A trip backwards and forwards to Apple, with the appointment, can take hours, or days, and cost a pretty penny!
I just didn't want to see a member taking your advice, with that sort of approach.
We don't know for sure what the problem is, as that message has come up many times in different instances, but if it is to do with contiguous space, then a clone is a great starting point.

Its a File System Sector Error. I Do This stuff as an IT for Business Class Linux severs all the Time. So i know all about partitions and HD errors. And a Clone will not work. It Copies the Files EXACTLY as they were on the HD so if Said person did a Wipe and Restore Using the Disc image Clone. That file will STILL be at the Same Location on the HD and Bootcamp will still give that error.

Plus its a Software Fix. There is no hardware involved meaning its Free :p Also a Defrag will only take about 1-5 hours So Said Person can get it the Same Day

And To make sure we wont but heads. Im not trying to be mean :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Following 6String's advice is best. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour at most to erase and reinstall - assuming of course you have a clone backup or Time Machine backup. I've done this myself and my local Apple store is only 15 minutes from my home....

Making an appointment with an Apple Genius (especially around now with the new iPhone and iPad out) may take days and that assumes the user's machine is under warranty or has Apple care.

And if you're really into de-fragging your hard drive, you can purchase a copy of iDefrag 2 for $29.95 from here. Instant download.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
So, what should i do? Step by step instructions would be nice. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, what should i do? Step by step instructions would be nice. Thanks guys.
To start with, do you have a current time machine backup, or a clone made with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

OP
A
Reaction score
Cringe And

To start with, do you have a current time machine backup, or a clone made with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

No, but I have all of my important files (Movies, Music, etc), backed up on an external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you'll have to personalise your mac again after the cleanup, but at least you have your files backed up.
The steps are:
Boot from install disk holding C Down.
Select language, go to utilities>disk uilities in the menu bar.
Select the HD on the left at the top of the list, and the erase tab.
Name Macintosh HD and format as mac os extended journalled.
Click security tab and click zero out once over (this will take around an hour).
Once finished, quit utilities, and proceed with installation.
Install all the updates with software update.
Then just drag your files from the external drive to the relevant folders.
Once you are done, if you want to install windows with bootcamp again, you should be good to go.
As I'd recommend to anyone, be sure to print out the instructions before proceeding, and follow them to the T :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, you'll have to personalise your mac again after the cleanup, but at least you have your files backed up.
The steps are:
Boot from install disk holding C Down.
Select language, go to utilities>disk uilities in the menu bar.
Select the HD on the left at the top of the list, and the erase tab.
Name Macintosh HD and format as mac os extended journalled.
Click security tab and click zero out once over (this will take around an hour).
Once finished, quit utilities, and proceed with installation.
Install all the updates with software update.
Then just drag your files from the external drive to the relevant folders.
Once you are done, if you want to install windows with bootcamp again, you should be good to go.
As I'd recommend to anyone, be sure to print out the instructions before proceeding, and follow them to the T :)

Before i do this, when it comes to apps, can I simple click and drag them to my external harddrive, and then once i have erased it, drag them back to the app folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the drag and drop Apps no probs, but you'll need to reinstall all the apps that came with installers, like Office, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
But a Reinstall can take Hours. And might not fix the problem

Wouldn't it take must as much time to pack up the machine, make an appointment, go to the Apple Store, wait for the genius, get your computer back, drive back home, set it back up?

Not so sure there's a big time savings either way ;P

OP
A
Reaction score
I attempted to begin the reinstall using the disk, upon the reset it stays at the gray screen, no apple logo, not little gear. been there for an hour.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.