Will i see a performance increase in games ?

Reaction score
Hi all

My current system is:

Nvidia 8600 GTS 256mb
AMD 64 dual core 3800+
2gb ram
windows XP

I play alot of games and looking to upgrade to windows 7 64 so i can take advantage of direct x 11. Will I see any performance increase if i did upgrade because I only have 2gb of ram and this is the minimum for windows 7 ? Should I just stick with XP. It just seems a waste to have a 64bit processor and not be getting the most from it. Thx

aiden

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Might help but I don't expect higher FPS. >_>"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, you can not upgrade from XP to Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. XP is not an upgrade path, only Vista is. You would have to install Windows 7 clean which is OK, but you need to be aware of that.

With Windows 7 64 bit you would be able to utilize whatever amount of memory that your AMD chipset and motherboard allows. You would not be limited to 2 GB. Your nVidia card is not the greatest for gaming but it should do OK for most. You might consider swapping (if possible) that card out for a fast ATI instead.

Thanks for asking in the Mac forums. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.