airport express question

Reaction score
I have an airport extreme with my imac and macbook pro running on a wireless n 5ghz network.

I recently purchased the iphone 4 but it only runs on wireless n 2.4ghz

I don't want to hinder my macs performance just for my iphone to be allowed on the network.

so my question is if i were to buy an airport express could i have my iphone 4 run on just that network?

any help would be awesome:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You could rename your 5ghz network - run it separately from the 2.4ghz network off of the Airport Extreme. It is in the airport utility.

For example I have a network called myhomenetwork - I can set the 5ghz name to myhomenetwork5g - and have everything that runs 5ghz attach to that network. myhomenetwork will can now be the 2.4ghz network. (Or vice versa - you could name the 5 ghz network myhomenetwork so you don't have to change anything - and enable the 2.4ghz network to be called myhomenetwork24g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yes - you can have 2 separate networks running and force all your 5Ghz onto that other network. In theory this would already happen without having to do anything, but I've found that the 5GHz signal strength dies pretty quickly so unless you are next to your router your devices will tend to pick the 2.4GHz as it penetrates walls/appliances/etc better.

You do not need to buy an Airport Express to run 2 different frequencies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.