Anyone know how to turn iPhone 3g into an iPod Touch?

Reaction score
I got the iPhone 4 and gave my old 3g to my dad. I cleaned the phone off and deleted everything before giving it to him. He said he uploaded some things on like Music etc., however he says he cannot access the Wi-Fi through the phone. The Wi-Fi at their house has always been terrible, whoever set it up did a horrible job. However, he hasn't tried it elsewhere so it could be that. But does anyone have experience with this? I would assume that even if the phone is no longer functioning as a phone it could still be used as an iPod touch like device...any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
We used an original iPhone as an iPod touch for a long while. As long as the phone is unlocked and usable there is shouldn't be any issue with using it just on wifi.

As far as wifi not being set up, there really isn't much to do to set it up. Know your SSID and Wep. The problem could be something simple like a bad location for the wireless router.

Anyways, good luck with it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I would update it to iOS 4. I believe an option was added to the settings turn off all cellular data while leaving WiFi on. Although this won't help if there is something wrong with the phone or with the router broadcasting the WiFi.

OP
S
Reaction score
We used an original iPhone as an iPod touch for a long while. As long as the phone is unlocked and usable there is shouldn't be any issue with using it just on wifi.

As far as wifi not being set up, there really isn't much to do to set it up. Know your SSID and Wep. The problem could be something simple like a bad location for the wireless router.

Anyways, good luck with it all.

Yea they know all their info for the Wi-Fi, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Now, by unlocked you mean what exactly? My definition of unlocking would be taking it off the restriction of having it on AT&T. Which, I would figure in this case wouldn't matter since it isn't signed on to a network. The phone should function as a standalone device. This may help telling you what I did and what the next steps should be:

What I did:

1. Restored phone to factory settings
2. Went in to phone and reset all information
3. Gave it to my Dad

I would think the next step would be for him to plug it in to iTunes to sync his info on. How would not being on a cell network affect the Wi-Fi capability? Are there some special settings he'll need to change? Or should it just work normally without the functionality of using phone/data/text on a 3G network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
Yea they know all their info for the Wi-Fi, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Now, by unlocked you mean what exactly? My definition of unlocking would be taking it off the restriction of having it on AT&T. Which, I would figure in this case wouldn't matter since it isn't signed on to a network. The phone should function as a standalone device. This may help telling you what I did and what the next steps should be:

What I did:

1. Restored phone to factory settings
2. Went in to phone and reset all information
3. Gave it to my Dad

I would think the next step would be for him to plug it in to iTunes to sync his info on. How would not being on a cell network affect the Wi-Fi capability? Are there some special settings he'll need to change? Or should it just work normally without the functionality of using phone/data/text on a 3G network?

Not that type of unlocked, sorry. I was meaning able to be turned on and used with out a sim card or with a deactivated sim. I remember when I was letting my original iPhone be used as a touch. After I updated and restored it to factory I had to put my new sim card in, to get it off of the attach to itunes screen.

As far as the wifi issue. As long as the phone is able to be used there wouldn't be any issues with the wifi. Did the same thing with my old iPhone. No sim card, just didn't have any 3g/edge data or text. But, the wifi work 100%.

OP
S
Reaction score
sanestearli

Not that type of unlocked, sorry. I was meaning able to be turned on and used with out a sim card or with a deactivated sim. I remember when I was letting my original iPhone be used as a touch. After I updated and restored it to factory I had to put my new sim card in, to get it off of the attach to itunes screen.

As far as the wifi issue. As long as the phone is able to be used there wouldn't be any issues with the wifi. Did the same thing with my old iPhone. No sim card, just didn't have any 3g/edge data or text. But, the wifi work 100%.

Thanks stingray. Yea I have a feeling he just isn't doing something correctly. He claims he is, but you know how that goes. Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.