Bad ram?

Reaction score
OSX 10.4.11 intel core 2 duo imac 2.16ghz

I recently installed new ram 1x2gb and 1x1gb bought from crucial. All seemed well, the machine recognised the ram and I used it for about 3 weeks with no probs.

One day whilst using iphoto, a grey screen slowly came down and advised me to restart. The machine froze and I powered down. When I attempted a restart, It stayed on the black screen although the led light was on but the machine appeared dead.

I tried everything cmd/opt/ p&r. cmd/ alt but nothing worked. In the end I removed the ram and inserted it back where it was and it seemed fine for a while but then the same thing happened.

I did the same thing again - only this time installed the 2 in the 0 slot and the 1 in the 1 slot but the same thing happened again, after a while.

I've gone back to my original 512 x2 and so far seems ok (been 2 days now) but I ran an extended hardware test using this ram and got the following error:-
4SNS/1/40000001:VDR (pass number 1). I can't find anything on the web relating to the code and I'm not sure if this is just a smoke screen and the error has been there for a while.

My gut feeling is ram but don't know how to prove it other than sticking with this for a time but by then crucial may not replace my bad ram.

Anyone had a similar experience?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the simple answer is if your computer is stable with the old ram...and not stable with the new ram...then something is wrong with the new ram.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Helped if you provide precise machine details as there are several iMac models could be, however go to OWC and look up the memory for whatever you have and make sure you did actually get Mac compatible modules. Many Mac models are extremely fussy about using low density modules and most PC memory is cheaper high density. More than likely simply wrong memory.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.