Doesn't anyone want an iPhone that works as a PHONE???

Reaction score
I have been holding my tongue long enough as a 3 year iPhone owner about the millions of lemmings falling off the cliff to have the next iPhone 4, while most long term iPhone owners have excessive dropped calls, lack of tethering until now and other odd failures.

Summary of Story:

I originally got an iPhone 3G when it first came out and was excited about what it could do over my Palm Treo (Palm OS). I was looking for a "smartphone" that had a real internet browser to better interact with web applications that the Treo just could not render well. I also wanted something lighter and the iPhone was it. (iPhone #1)

I found a software app called at the time JAADU VNC, now called iTeleport that allowed me to remote desktop into my iMac or PC at work and handle certain tasks without having to carry my laptop around everywhere I went. My back is much happier that I'm not carrying 25+ lbs around on one shoulder.

I have a problem with reception at home and in one neighborhood to the east or west of me. I'm 1070 feet in elevation, one of the highest points in Birmingham, AL and have a panoramic view to the western edge of the county, a view about 15 miles to the north and two towns away to the east. I have over 20 cell towers within "line of sight" and in range to pick one of them up.

Im absolutely frustrated I can't carry on a conversation for more than 3 minutes at a time with out calling someone back several times in a conversation. I use my iPhone as a business phone and I'm loosing customers over this phone and its excessive dropped calls. On Edge, i'm lucky to get 5 minutes

While my Verizon Treo 700p had a fair amount of dropped calls, the iPhone had many many more. Fussing to Apple and AT&T about it, they replaced my 3G with another one stating it excessively rebooted. (iPhone #2). They also acknowledged a cell tower problem and it was supposedly fixed.

Done all of the updates, even the one that "adjusted" the signal strength a while back. Never dropped an iPhone or gotten one wet.

Frustrated with the reception, I upgraded to the 3GS hoping the reception would be better. (iPhone #3) Well it wasn't any better. Much fighting with AT&T and Apple, they replaced my iPhone (iPhone #4). Nothing really changed, except for about a random month, everything started to be ok, then back to the usual. Months of dropped calls, service calls for cell towers in the area and technicians sent out to test signals in my house and in the area, i got (iPhone #5). Call made with all of the technicians standing in my house, dropped first 3 calls 30 seconds. They left stating that they will be working on the network in the area.

iPhone #5 got stolen from my locker at my gym, ended up reluctantly replacing my iPhone, because AT&T was threatening to hold my phone number hostage that I've had for my business for 10 years. Now (iPhone #6) no better.

Now that the iPhone 4 is out, seeing Steve Jobs have problems during the WWDC, sealed the deal for me that this was my last iPhone. I'm not getting the 4, because of the continued reception issues most are receiving.

The iPhone has been out for almost 5 years now and the reception issue has not gotten any better, which begs the question, why is everyone going gaga over this latest version of the iPhone, if the primary function of it as a phone still is sub-par.

I'm sorry, I've had an iPhone for 3 years now and what ever the issue is the phone or the network, it needs to be fixed. Work issued me a HTC Incredible which is pretty darn close to the iPhone. I too drops calls, but its a single digit percentage in drops compared to my iPhone 3GS.

I hope that current iPhone owners get together and speak up about the ongoing issues we've experienced over the years that is not being addressed and warn new iPhone perspective clients to understand the true shortfalls of the iPhone, especially if they expect it to be a phone that should work reliably.

BTW, all of my iPhones I've tried to run naked without any additional apps installed to see if it was another app... still had the problems anyway.

I dont care about how many bars show up on the display, it doesn't matter. What does matter, can it make and receive calls and hang on to the call no matter what mode EDGE, 3G, etc., it may encounter.

If the design of the device is the most beautiful part of the iPhone, why should I have to "cover it up" to get a good signal??? Why is that an "acceptable fix" and why be charged $29 for a plastic bumper to fix a design flaw??? I'm sorry I'm a designer by education and that is a design flaw. I should be able to enjoy it out of the box in its true form and beauty for what it is and not make any cosmetic, internal or external modifications to make such and expensive piece of hardware to work!

It should behave as a WORKING phone, not an iPod Touch with 3G which is the iPad 3G!

After all of these years, the jury is still out on if its a network issue or the phone itself. I'm leaning more toward the network, because I have problems in specific areas in town. All 6 iPhones have been consistent in performance.

I can make a call from a sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico in Key West, where I can't even see land and talk for an hour without dropping a call, but when i get home to Birmingham, AL, I can even call out of my house at times or keep a call within a 3 mile radius of home (half way to work).

--End Rant--

Does anyone have an actual reception problem in making or receiving calls on the iPhone 4 and have good call retention regardless of what the antenna meter says???

The making and receiving of calls is more important to me than a graphical representation of signal strength that can be artificially adjusted with an update.

Dave--

OP
C
Reaction score
Had to add...

This BS about holding the Phone a certain way...That's like one grown man telling another grown man how to hold his own manhood. (Sorry ladies for that analogy). That's how stupid Steve Jobs sounds when he says "Your holding it wrong"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you've been experiencing dropped calls on both Verizon and AT&T in your area, then it's pretty obvious that you're just in a really bad cellular location. This isn't the fault of the iPhone or the HTC Incredible or any other phone, it's simply that you have bad reception in your area.

I have an iPhone 4. I have absolutely zero reception problems. My connection is fast and calls are crystal clear. This is because I live in an area with great reception. I have friends come over and use their Verizon phones and also experience great reception.

Yes, there are some people experiencing reception issues with their iPhone 4, however it's clear that you're not ranting about that, you're going on about reception in general. In that case, perhaps you should look into getting an AT&T Microcell. That should most definitely solve your reception woes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
If you've been experiencing dropped calls on both Verizon and AT&T in your area, then it's pretty obvious that you're just in a really bad cellular location. This isn't the fault of the iPhone or the HTC Incredible or any other phone, it's simply that you have bad reception in your area.

I have an iPhone 4. I have absolutely zero reception problems. My connection is fast and calls are crystal clear. This is because I live in an area with great reception. I have friends come over and use their Verizon phones and also experience great reception.

Yes, there are some people experiencing reception issues with their iPhone 4, however it's clear that you're not ranting about that, you're going on about reception in general. In that case, perhaps you should look into getting an AT&T Microcell. That should most definitely solve your reception woes.

Same here.... i have full bars almost always.... with my 3gs in my workplace I had 3 bars maybe now im full so i beleive its your area Miami Loves ATT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, I hope you at lest feel somewhat better after venting your frustrations here... But sir.. it's not your phone(s), regardless of them being iPhone or other brands. It has been said in the past that the radio band the iPhone uses isn't exactly the best out there (contributes to how much EF is emitted and is either good or bad for the user) and that when paired with a not so great network (as ATT tends to be in many areas, embarrassingly including NYC) such as what you seem to have on your hands, the chances of having problems is most certain.

I've got news for you though... Since having moved to EU, my reception is off the wall fantastic. Never one dropped call in the almost year I've been here, traveling in and out of several smaller countries. The only time reception is an issue is when out in the country side, like.. middle of nowhere. I get full bars and fantastic reception in the dankest of metro stations, on the trains themselves, the thickest of cement and brick walls, and in every single elevator I've ever been in.

I'm using Vodafone on my Jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g and couldn't be happier with the service. When I get back, I'm going to Verizon. I'm tired of ATT's oafish service. Perhaps you should consider looking into another service as well, especially if your business depends on it ! If it were MY business, and I was losing money, I'd not hesitate for one second. As far as losing your business number, it was my understanding that every carrier has a thing where they can transfer a number over for any existing customer to another carrier, free of charge.

It ain't the phone dude. Even though they're having the iOS 4 issues with the grip, it's got nothing to do with your situation. You're in a lousy area for your current carrier, and they're not getting the job done. Move on.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Get a Bumper... It may help alot

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm sorry, honestly...WHY should I have to pay a $29 bumper to solve an issue that should have been caught my Apple???

With all due respect, I really don't get that. It should work as intended WITHOUT any OEM or 3rd party accessory. That's the rub for me.

I'd like to hear more reception responses. AT&T states they will be adding 11 new towers in my area by November and I hope that improves the situation.

What is frustrating to me is that my AT&T iPhone has been a problem at home since day for over 3 years now and its beyond old. I have heard all of this time, a patch may fix it, the next version will be better, get some accessory to make it better, get a microcell, on and on and on. I shouldn't have to DO anything to have normal cell phone reliability.

It's such a marked difference in call reliability from my old Verizon Treo or my new Verizon HTC Incredible it's aggravating.

I have also experimented with a Microcell in my house provided to me by AT&T to attempt to boost any available signal. It was a test for themselves as well, they are not yet available normally in this area. I ended up with more 3G failures than on Edge. I shouldn't have to switch to Edge when I'm at home or 3 miles from home to make sure I keep a call from work to home.

AT&T also checked to see if I was getting knocked out by the control tower at the Birmingham Int'l Airport 2.5 miles away, since I can look straight down the 18/36 runway from my front door.

I have worked hard with AT&T for three solid years to resolve my issue and many others that live in my neighborhood and the 3 surrounding neighborhoods. BTW I am in the City of Birmingham, not out in the woods, farmland, nor am I in a valley.

Unfortunately or fortunately however you want to look at it, the iPhone does more of what I really wanted it to do in other areas where I don't have to carry so much crap around during the day, but now I have to carry another PHONE with me to make sure I get all of my business calls and can make a business call when I need to.

As expensive as this iPhone and plan are, the phone should just plain work at least as well and any handful of other cellphones I have access to at home.

Minimal problems with Verizon at the house, my partner's plain old Sprint Flip is perfectly reliable, iPhone...can't trust it.

As I said, I never really thought any of the 6 iPhones had a problem, AT&T has definite issues in many places. My concern is that if the iPhone 4 is more sensitive to signal issues than my current 3GS, it will be more of a problem for me. I was hoping to hear it would be better and less sensitive than my current 3GS. Thats all.

I'm not iPhone bashing, but I feel I shouldn't be necessary to form a committee representing 3963 iPhone users in 5 (1300 homes each) surrounding neighborhoods to hammer AT&T to get our reception issues sorted out, nor should it have ever come to this much effort to get "NORMAL" cellular service out of AT&T. If things don't improve by the time my current contract runs out with the current 3GS or the iPhone 4 gets better, I will let it expire and move on. We've done above and beyond what anyone should do to fight for simple reliable cell service in our area.

I love my iPhone, nothing else like it, but something has got to give on the cellular level, it should be on par with the rest of the smartphone community and work as a phone.

I heard it and I've said it myself when people ask me how i like my iPhone, I say, "It does everything great, except make phone calls". If I'm within earshot of any other iPhone owners, sometimes they will chime in and agree and laugh. Then I think, why is that problem acceptable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have been holding my tongue long enough as a 3 year iPhone owner about the millions of lemmings falling off the cliff to have the next iPhone 4, while most long term iPhone owners have excessive dropped calls, lack of tethering until now and other odd failures.

..{whining removed}

If you're looking for sympathy, insulting the rest of us is a poor way to start. Here's a clue, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you have crappy service either find a company that has better service in your area or move. Pretty simple.

My phone works fine for me in my area and in my Life. Then again, what do I know, I'm just a lemming....

OP
C
Reaction score
As for the lemming comment (retracted, apologies where necessary)

Where that comment came from is the huge number of people asking me about this generation of the iPhone and is it better that their current one.

I suggested they wait and see how it is being received in the real world and how it actually performs.

Unfortunately, they rushed out, sat in line for hours get the latest "must have" gadget hoping ALL is better, but then are disappointed to find they have the same or more issues than their current iPhone as a PHONE right out of the box. I get an ear full if they can keep the call going.

The "must have" features tend to overshadow the phone part.

As an iPhone owner of 3+ years and having 6 of them, I too hope for a better iPhone. I've had issues with reception from day one. Each generation of iPhone that rolls out I've bought with the promises of better reception, battery life, screen color, performance, only to find the reception issues have not changed and have gotten worse especially at HOME.

I'm not looking for empathy or sympathy, just an iPhone that actually works as a PHONE! Its been out long enough to have these issues resolved by now.

I was hoping the iPhone 4 was an improvement in the PHONE department and I am posting a question directed to current long term iPhone users to find out if it is truly better than my current 3GS as a PHONE.

Q) Does your iPhone 4 actually hold on to calls better than any previous generation iPhone, especially switching between Edge and 3G?

As for the get something else comment:

I've done one better. I have rounded up over 3900 people and sat down with AT&T in the area and working to resolve the cell tower coverage and network issues.

Some of us have tried Microcells in our homes, addressing all other TV, Radio, Airport transmissions and in-home electrical interference issues, including having our iPhones looked at and tested.

As a result 11 new cell towers are being added to the area between now and November with a few more to come after the new year.

I considered getting out of my iPhone contract last month when it was stolen only to fight AT&T over my business phone number of 10 years that was being held hostage, I could not port it over to another carrier or other phone, had to be an iPhone due to my "contract".

After fighting AT&T for three days and dealing with their shens, I caved and bought a replacement iPhone to save my business number and not mess up a critical project I had due in 4 days. Buying the phone and renewing my contract before June 1, I avoided the increase in Early Termination Fees. Saving my business phone number was cheaper than loosing my projects and is the reason I still have an iPhone for now.

So my frustration lies with the amount of work myself and a lot of other people have put into attempting to resolve the reception issues in our area from the AT&T side, then come to find out that the new iPhone 4 may have a hardware design issue is disheartening.

I feel the iPhone has the best user interface out there, and i can get a lot done with it and not carry my laptop around.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Surprised you've had dropped calls with the Incredible. I've had it since May and have yet to experience one. Must be a tough area for cell service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac with i7 and 4GB. yippie! iPhone 4 16gb-blk
I just got the new iPhone and it actually seems to be better than my old 3g at holding calls. I haven't dropped one yet. ~knock on wood~ I live in Washington, DC and usually have no problems with cell service. Occasionally, I'd drop a call but I dropped calls when I was with Verizon too. My wife is from Tuscaloosa, AL and I noticed the reception there isn't as good in the outlying areas as it is here in DC. The iPhone is a great device, AT&T just needs to get their stuff together and flesh out the network. I'm hoping that Verizon does get the iPhone soon. I'll stay with AT&T while millions of people make a mass exodus and clog up Verizon's network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" MBP - 32GB iPhone4 (almost)
I've heard horror storries of AT&T's coverage in NYC and L.A. - But here in South Florida, I rarely ever get a dropped call with my 3Gs. Does it happen? Of course. But is it an everyday occurrence? No. Internet speeds wide, it's not even close to what I used to get on Sprint. But it's not that big of a deal because it's mobile internet. When I get my 4, I'll see if I see a difference. But right now... Meh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got the new iPhone and it actually seems to be better than my old 3g at holding calls. I haven't dropped one yet. ~knock on wood~ I live in Washington, DC and usually have no problems with cell service. Occasionally, I'd drop a call but I dropped calls when I was with Verizon too. My wife is from Tuscaloosa, AL and I noticed the reception there isn't as good in the outlying areas as it is here in DC. The iPhone is a great device, AT&T just needs to get their s**t together and flesh out the network. I'm hoping that Verizon does get the iPhone soon. I'll stay with AT&T while millions of people make a mass exodus and clog up Verizon's network.
HAHAHAHHAHA!

Never thought of it that way. I am now on the "Bring the iPhone to Verizon" bandwagon

Reaction score
Rarely do I experience a dropped call, and holding a certain way until I get the bumper I intended to buy anyway, does not bother me one bit. Things like this don't bother me, I'm just thrilled to have something we could only dream about a short time ago. Life is short, to stress about things like this makes no sense........more stress = shorter life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can't read what you wrote, it's too long..it's like walls of text. I might recommend rethinking your posting style to make it more readible in an online environment.

But I will answer your title question...yes, I do want an iPhone that works as a phone and mine always has...no complaints.

Reaction score
I'm just glad I have a phone that isn't a slipper, even if there is some issues with it I certainly couldn't have made a phone myself so however much you pay just appreciate the technology O:)

Reaction score
Honestly while I get the iPhone because its a phone that is not its primary purpose for me. Having something small that can access the internet, email, play games, play music and keep me connected with friends/family is its primary purpose to me. I do talk on it but I do not spend much time using it for that function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Rarely do I experience a dropped call, and holding a certain way until I get the bumper I intended to buy anyway, does not bother me one bit. Things like this don't bother me, I'm just thrilled to have something we could only dream about a short time ago. Life is short, to stress about things like this makes no sense........more stress = shorter life.

Well said!! I agree wholeheartedly.

I actually stopped reading all those looooooong posts after about the second or third paragraph. Must have taken a whole lot of thought and effort post all of that. :) Most are not on this forum to read over dissertations and stuff like that.

I have dropped calls and stuff like that but I highly doubt that anyone on any cell phone network can actually claim that they have not experienced at least a dropped call or two. If they do they are most likely lying. Really simple, we call deal with the i-Phone as is, buy a bumper or some other case, or simply take the darn thing back. It's really easy and not worth all the stress and heartache. As for me, I'm happy with my purchase and have a bumper on order. I was definitely getting at least a case or some other form of protection anyway.

Reaction score
Well said!! I agree wholeheartedly.

I actually stopped reading all those looooooong posts after about the second or third paragraph. Must have taken a whole lot of thought and effort post all of that. :) Most are not on this forum to read over dissertations and stuff like that.

I have dropped calls and stuff like that but I highly doubt that anyone on any cell phone network can actually claim that they have not experienced at least a dropped call or two. If they do they are most likely lying. Really simple, we call deal with the i-Phone as is, buy a bumper or some other case, or simply take the darn thing back. It's really easy and not worth all the stress and heartache. As for me, I'm happy with my purchase and have a bumper on order. I was definitely getting at least a case or some other form of protection anyway.

Very true. I know someone that has service with all the Cell services in my area, and all have dropped a call here or there.........gasp......even Verizon! When I purchased my 1st cell phone in 1990 I remember not even having service in all areas & there was static all the time, but it was mind blowing that you could talk on a phone away from home. I remember those days so I appreciate phones today and all they can do. Perhaps my new iPhone4 has a design flaw with the antenna, but it is so easily (and cheaply) remedied so a complaint from me will never be heard. I look forward to next year when I can get an iPhone 4G, or iPhone 5, or whatever they wish to call it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got the new iPhone and it actually seems to be better than my old 3g at holding calls. I haven't dropped one yet. ~knock on wood~ I live in Washington, DC and usually have no problems with cell service. Occasionally, I'd drop a call but I dropped calls when I was with Verizon too. My wife is from Tuscaloosa, AL and I noticed the reception there isn't as good in the outlying areas as it is here in DC. The iPhone is a great device, AT&T just needs to get their stuff together and flesh out the network. I'm hoping that Verizon does get the iPhone soon. I'll stay with AT&T while millions of people make a mass exodus and clog up Verizon's network.

Drum roll.....

Verizon Wireless reportedly offering Apple iPhone in January - USATODAY.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.