Doesn't anyone want an iPhone that works as a PHONE???

OP
C
Reaction score
"I can't read what you wrote, it's too long..it's like walls of text. I might recommend rethinking your posting style to make it more readible in an online environment."

--Agreed-- Sorry, couldn't delete the second long one once I posted it.

Thanks for all of the comments. I have a high degree of patience, too much at times and now its worn thin. What stressed me out, I have come to depend on the iPhone for other features and functions. Just hoped the iPhone 4 and the network would be better by now.

The HTC Incredible and the iPhone 4 just came out this month. I did not have another reasonable option to jump ship to and have most of the same features and functions of my iPhone 3GS until now. Both came out after I had to replace a stolen iPhone, so I'm sitting tight for right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
I've had no more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than I did with the 3G or with the flip phone I had before that. Granted, my house is apparently located in the Romulan Neutral Zone so I often have voicemail messages pop up when the phone doesn't ring. But that has been the case since we've lived here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well I can tell you that from my own personal experience, the reception on my iPhone 4 is above and beyond improved over that of my 3G. People on the other side are always complimenting how much clearer I sound since I upgraded to the new iPhone. I also have yet to experience a dropped call (dropped a FaceTime call once but that was because the other party was really far away from a Wi-Fi hotspot).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've had no more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than I did with the 3G or with the flip phone I had before that. Granted, my house is apparently located in the Romulan Neutral Zone so I often have voicemail messages pop up when the phone doesn't ring. But that has been the case since we've lived here.

That's my situation. AT&T's network in my area is awesome just about everywhere except right where my house is, but in fairness that's the same with all the providers. Someone around here must be really against cell towers :)

Well I can tell you that from my own personal experience, the reception on my iPhone 4 is above and beyond improved over that of my 3G. People on the other side are always complimenting how much clearer I sound since I upgraded to the new iPhone. I also have yet to experience a dropped call (dropped a FaceTime call once but that was because the other party was really far away from a Wi-Fi hotspot).

I've had the same experience. The sound quality both inbound and outbound is greatly improved on the iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz, 4-GB DDR3, 500-GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Using it from saturday till now without bumper..so far no problem at all..reception is good...much better reception than 3gs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
If you're looking for sympathy, insulting the rest of us is a poor way to start. Here's a clue, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you have crappy service either find a company that has better service in your area or move. Pretty simple.
Agreed. I've been an iPhone user and mac fanatic since day one of having a choice. Never once have I had a problem. I was ninth in store on the 24th, and havent put down my iPhone 4 since. It is an amazing device, even more amazing is how fast and clear the calls are, the amazing display, awesome video, crystal clear pictures, face time is great, and battery life is perfect. So stop whining. Buy it or don't, it doesn't matter. Its an amazing device on the cutting edge of technology. Deal with it.

C

chas_m

My 1st day of issue iPhone has worked fine for me. Dropped calls are very very rare. I used to live in Orlando FL when I got mine, but I moved to Victoria BC. I'm close enough to the shore that I can pick up AT&T signal from Port Angeles WA when I'm by the ocean and don't have an issue with it when I use my AT&T sim.

Sorry you're having an issue, but as others have said, apparently the real problem is actually AT&T, who suck in certain areas on coverage. It's a real pity the iPhone isn't offered by different companies in the US (as it is here in Canada) but until that changes, you're kinda stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
On a side note I can duplicate the reception issue in my living room at will. Holding my 3G, With the "death grip" it drops to one bar, holding it any other way yields at least 4 bars. Most interesting part is, before iOS 4 I never got better than 1 bar in my living room.

Reaction score
According to test done by Anandtech, an iPhone 4 in a case has better reception than 3GS.

A case cost as little as 99 cents inclusive of shipping from ebay.

Sorry, what's the problem again?

Reaction score
Agreed. I've been an iPhone user and mac fanatic since day one of having a choice. Never once have I had a problem. I was ninth in store on the 24th, and havent put down my iPhone 4 since. It is an amazing device, even more amazing is how fast and clear the calls are, the amazing display, awesome video, crystal clear pictures, face time is great, and battery life is perfect. So stop whining. Buy it or don't, it doesn't matter. Its an amazing device on the cutting edge of technology. Deal with it.

Well said!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
Here's my take on it: If your number is so critical to your business, and you are so sure that it's an issue with the iPhone - then why not put your SIM card in something other than an iPhone, and sell your iPhone on eBay? Simple answer.....

Your rant on here reminds me of the guy that moved next to an Airport, and then complained about the noise!

The other thing I'm thinking is that in the UK Apple gave free cases to all iPhone 4 owners, did they not do that in the States?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Nah. I gave up on that a long time ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.