iMOVIE for iPhone

Reaction score
On the keynote speech for iPHONE 4 they said they had iMOVIE for iPHONE 4. iPhone 4 is out, OS4 is out. Where is iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
On the keynote speech for iPHONE 4 they said they had iMOVIE for iPHONE 4. iPhone 4 is out, OS4 is out. Where is iMovie?

You have to buy it for $4.99 from the app store.

OP
Nikonshooter
Reaction score
Cant find it in the app store. Or maybe its because I'm in Ireland and they wont release it till end of July when the iPhone 4 comes out which sucks as alot of people have the 3GS and it works on the OS4 upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Cant find it in the app store. Or maybe its because I'm in Ireland and they wont release it till end of July when the iPhone 4 comes out which sucks as alot of people have the 3GS and it works on the OS4 upgrade!

That's probably the case, but I do believe that its only for the iphone 4.

OP
Nikonshooter
Reaction score
That's a shame, Apple already leaving customers out with the iPhone 3GS only out last year....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
That's probably the case, but I do believe that its only for the iphone 4.

Thats correct, i was told becuase of the new iPhone 4 chip it can only run on IP4
I agree 3gs is still to new of a release not to have a great APP like iMovie available for it, Apple dropped the ball there

OP
Nikonshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, Apple look like they only want to cater for new customers now... Do they still make Mac's? LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thats correct, i was told becuase of the new iPhone 4 chip it can only run on IP4
I agree 3gs is still to new of a release not to have a great APP like iMovie available for it, Apple dropped the ball there

The iPhone 3GS does not have the processing power, or more importantly the RAM to handle iMovie. That's the reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Apple look like they only want to cater for new customers now... Do they still make Mac's? LOL

Yes, they just updating their entire line of Macbook Pros and the Mac mini just recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, iMovie was just ported to the 3GS, so it is certainly capable of running it. Just how well is a different question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Actually, iMovie was just ported to the 3GS, so it is certainly capable of running it. Just how well is a different question.

for JB only i believe..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sure, and I could hack a 1996 Dell to run Windows 7, just won't do it well.

Apple's not necessarily in the habit of releasing software for machines that will run like crap. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMovie for iPhone gets a cheeky hack for jailbroken 3GS, runs well-oiled

No offense Schweb, but please do a little bit of research before making wild accusations. The 3GS isn't significantly slower than the iPhone 4, let's not make it out to be the retarded stepchild.

Performance is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously Apple currently feels the 3GS doesn't perform up to standards for them...it's their choice. They're the ones who will have to support it.

And no offense Kash, but before you throw out an elitist "do some research" line, don't assume that I haven't.

I would hardly call my statement a "wild accusation". Might want to turn the drama meter down a touch. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And did you read that article? Funny that Engadget claims in their headline it runs well-oiled when they never even used it in person:

Sounds easy enough, although we've yet to see the hacked app actually running on devices other than the 3GS demoed in the video after the break.

Seems weird to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Performance is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously Apple currently feels the 3GS doesn't perform up to standards for them...it's their choice. They're the ones who will have to support it.

And no offense Kash, but before you throw out an elitist "do some research" line, don't assume that I haven't.

I would hardly call my statement a "wild accusation". Might want to turn the drama meter down a touch. ;)

This was your take on running iMovie on the 3GS.

Sure, and I could hack a 1996 Dell to run Windows 7, just won't do it well.

Apple's not necessarily in the habit of releasing software for machines that will run like crap. ;)

The 3GS is not ridiculously underpowered compared to the iPhone 4 as your analogy would seem to indicate. So who's really being dramatic here?

You can say you did the research, but your statement clearly indicates that you simply made an assumption that iMovie would perform poorly on the 3GS. I'm not saying it's going to perform extremely well, but at least I have evidence showing that the 3GS is at the very least capable of running the software. It's better than making a blatantly false blanket statement that the software would hardly function.

Apple has every right to restrict what software is available for which of its devices. I'm not arguing that Apple should have made iMovie available for the 3GS. I'm talking about technical feasibility and only wish to disprove the fact that the 3GS is incapable of running iMovie.

And did you read that article? Funny that Engadget claims in their headline it runs well-oiled when they never even used it in person:

Seems weird to me.

Engadget is reporting news. Also, look at the comments, there are several users who have managed to install iMovie on their 3GS and is working great for them.

Also, what does that quote have to do with our current discussion? We're talking about iMovie on the 3GS. Nobody in this thread is actually complaining about not being able to run iMovie on any other piece of hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read it again slowly Kash. Engadget is saying they only ever saw it in the video, never in person. And if that's not what they're saying, they need a better copy editor.

I know you like to be right, so I'll just leave it at what I said rather than argue every point with you on this one. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.