Deleted files not in trash??

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my mac and hope you guys can help me out in solving the issue. My problem is that whenever I delete a file, the file not only go to the Trash but it's automatically emptied from the Trash itself. Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file? Thank you for your time and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums. Very confusing.

If you do not want them to go, don't put 'em in the trash. Simple.

Whatever is in the trash is gone on emptying and on reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file?

Yes.
Finder > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck Empty Trash securely

OP
X
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums. Very confusing.

If you do not want them to go, don't put 'em in the trash. Simple.

Whatever is in the trash is gone on emptying and on reboot.

Thank you and good day to you too.

That's not always the case though, sometimes misclick or wrong highlight of the file can happens, then the file would be gone forever.

I didn't have this problem before. Upon deleting the files, they go into the Trash but is not emptied

Yes.
Finder > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck Empty Trash securely

I checked this but the "Empty Trash securely" was already unchecked. I tried to delete a file and it's still getting emptied from the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
When you delete files and empty the trash, they are not necessarily " gone forever " if you have backups.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you by chance getting a message telling you that this is going to happen when you go to trash a file? If I understand correctly, is this also happening simply when you highlight a file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
On a closely related theme, whenever I unzip a .zip file using Stuffit Expander the original zip file is deleted and disappears and is not sent to the trash. I'd rather I had the option to either send it to trash myself or to have the option of recovering it if needed.

Reaction score
Hello!
I have the same problem of Xoiii.
When I delete a file OSX bypasses the Trash folder, with a warning first.
"Empty Trash securely" is unchecked.
This happens in a secondary user account, but with ADMIN privilegies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If files have to be deleted permanently, it may be because the permissions are wrong on the Trash folder (your Trash is itself a hidden folder in your home directory). Follow the instructions here to check whether or not the Trash has improper permissions and if so, to fix it.

C

chas_m

I may have missed something, but how are these people deleting files that they are NOT dragging the file to the trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chas_m - I'm not getting that from the above. It's just that when things are deleted (method not specified) they don't go into Trash, they're just gone.

Reaction score
Hi

Was this ever resolved? I have the exact same problem. When I delete a file, it isn´t moved to the trashbin.

I´ve also noticed that mye free space is not changing when I delete files. I need to reboot to see the changes.

Vilcan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was this ever resolved?

Hello. Did you try the link in post #9 above? I don't know if that contains the solution, but try it and let as know if it helped.

Reaction score
Worked for me!

Hello. Did you try the link in post #9 above? I don't know if that contains the solution, but try it and let as know if it helped.

Finally! I had been having the same issue with files just "disappearing" when I deleted them. I would drag a file to Trash or hit Command-Delete, then it would prompt me for my user name and password (which I entered) and then the files would "delete" but the Trash basket would appear empty. I would restart my computer and minimal space would be cleared. When deleting my 100 GB iPhoto library after transferring it didn't free any space this morning, that was the last straw :Angry:

I followed the steps from the link in post #9 above and found that my ".Trash" folder permissions were set to "Admin: Read & Write", "Everyone: Read Only" and my user wasn't even listed. Clicked the lock so I could make changes, added my user with Read & Write permission and closed. Shut hidden folders back off through Terminal and re-launched Finder, voila!, my Trash was full with the 532 files I had deleted over the last few months. Freed up 154 GB of space! Thanks for the solution!

Reaction score
MacOS Sierra has a problem with the trash

When a file is deleted from iTunes or inside other apps, it will not visually show up in the trash. If you restart the computer then the file will be visible in the trash. A bug in the OS X Sierra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you see how old this thread is? 2010!

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my mac and hope you guys can help me out in solving the issue. My problem is that whenever I delete a file, the file not go to the Trash but it's automatically emptied from the Trash itself and HDD is same size before, not free-up space for delete any file. Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file? Thank you for your time and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

What Mac and what version of the OS?

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my mac and hope you guys can help me out in solving the issue. My problem is that whenever I delete a file, the file not go to the Trash but it's automatically emptied from the Trash itself and HDD is same size before, not free-up space for delete any file. Is there anyway I can fix this so that the files wont be empty whenever I want to delete a file? Thank you for your time and help.

I have not had this issue before, so am not sure if the following works, but it may be worth a shot:

How to stop OS X from deleting trashed files immediately

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.