Mac OS 10.5.8 Sharing & Permissions of external drive

Reaction score
Hi all

I have attached a USB external hard disk (Seagate) to my mac. However, while I have read permissions, I do not have write or modify permissions. Upon opening File Info, the 'Sharing & Permissions' tab shows no lists, just a terse 'You can only read' message. There is no 'Locked' box for me to uncheck in the 'General Info' tab either.

Anybody had a similar experience? How did you overcome it? I'd be glad for some assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi all

I have attached a USB external hard disk (Seagate) to my mac. However, while I have read permissions, I do not have write or modify permissions. Upon opening File Info, the 'Sharing & Permissions' tab shows no lists, just a terse 'You can only read' message. There is no 'Locked' box for me to uncheck in the 'General Info' tab either.

Anybody had a similar experience? How did you overcome it? I'd be glad for some assistance.

If the drive is formatted using NTFS (the native file system for Windows NT, 2000, XP and onwards), then yes... OS X can only read those. There are numerous options... please search the forums. This is frequently addressed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks!

It is Windows formatted indeed. I will look up the forums for the solution. Thanks for your input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.