UK MBP 15" battery swelling + trackpad issues = warranty replacement?

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.4, 4Gb, 160Gb, 10.6.3 and Mini (MB463B/A) 3Gb
Hi everyone

I bought a second hand mint condition 15" MBP 2.4GHz a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly ... until the battery stopped holding a charge. Had to then start running it off the mains. Stopped using it for a few days because I was doing other stuff and then returned to it yesterday to see the battery "swollen" and the trackpad causing all sorts of problems. Couldn't use it as a laptop at all, so I borrowed a USB kb and mouse to get around it. Have now decided not to use it until it's fixed.

Have since done some Googling and it appears this is a well known issue with various MBP's. However, I can't seem to load the Apple website (or any pages therein) to find any support numbers or walk-in stores.

Laptop was purchased in Aug 2008 - does that mean the battery is still covered under warranty? And what are my chances of having the trackpad fixed? Does someone have a list of numbers?

Am based in Surrey - any local stores or approved warranty repair centres?

Thanks for your help.

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
S

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link.

But are you saying in effect that Apple don't have to concern themselves with a manufacturing fault that could lead to personal injury and subsequent claim?

TBH, I'm going to try the warranty side first because this kind of fault is just totally unacceptable, even more so with it making the machine unusable without a USB kb and mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple could be on your side.... depends how you approach it, and who the staff member is really.
The links I gave you are to have a slightly cheaper option for a new battery, and the words of advise were based on the battery expansion would be pressing against the trackpad causing issues, and you shouldn't use the MBP without the battery inserted.

OP
S

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple could be on your side.... depends how you approach it, and who the staff member is really.

Agreed - often the case with customer support (outside of warranty anyway).

Is there a simple fix for the trackpad? Does it need time to "adjust" itself back to normal? Does it need replacing/repairing?

Thanks
SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if it will adjust itself back, but I like to think based on the situation, if approached with diplomacy, Apple will rectify the situation.
You may have to work through the chains of hierarchy, but I would start on the phone with Apple, explaining the situation, and expect that they will want genius bar to assess the machine and more than likely photos.
I think that things will work out if your first point of call is Apple via the customer relations avenue.

OP
S

SJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After speaking with CS, I'm booking a visit to a Genuis Bar/Store or whatever they're called.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep it optimistic, and I am sure things will go your way :)
Keep us posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.