• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buy now or wait for Intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Should I wait to buy a mac until the ones with Intel chips come out? I have a PB G4 right now, but I was thinking about buying a desktop at the end of the summer, I am saving up my money from my job, and I could get more if I wait even longer, until the ones with Intel chips start rolling around. I was just wondering what all of you thought as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
aantoine90 said:
Should I wait to buy a mac until the ones with Intel chips come out? I have a PB G4 right now, but I was thinking about buying a desktop at the end of the summer, I am saving up my money from my job, and I could get more if I wait even longer, until the ones with Intel chips start rolling around. I was just wondering what all of you thought as well.
I say wait depending on the speed of your Powerbook. What you should do now is go get a bluetooth mouse and Keyboard and a real good LCD monitor. Then use your PB as a desktop while at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I am personally waiting for intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
wait for intel mate, u don't wanna be stuck with ppc especially when u know intel is gonna roll out in about a year or so..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your system is doing everything you want it to do, with no problems. Then I would wait.

I on the other hand have a Ti powerbook, which I think ti is time to upgrade. I will most likely getting a powermac this fall after I move into my new house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Strider said:
wait for intel mate, u don't wanna be stuck with ppc especially when u know intel is gonna roll out in about a year or so..

I happen to be "stuck" with Power PC. Call me crazy, but I don't think Apple will hang us PPC users out to dry with this Intel switch- they need our business too!
:)

T

Tel

Im waiting till the Intel chips start rolling out then, just before they say goodbye to PPC I'll buy the best PPC iMac I can, that will easily last a couple of years until the Intel chips are working flawlessly. Apple have already stated that they're not going to hang PPC out to dry as sevenhelmet said.
I would only change my mind on this if the forst Intel machines run extremely well and exceed everyones expectations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
If it was a Powermac I'd go PPC cause they are plenty fast enough to keep you kickin tail all the way through the transition..... If it was a PB or a Mini... I'd wait for Intel. A Pentium M Powerbook sounds pretty tasty to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

I think that powerpc users will be "left out to dry" but I dont think by Apple directly. Everything that works now will work in a year and even then some. The problems will come by third parties not updating drivers or making new apps to the ppc platform. It's kinda like new classic apps these days. Dont see a whole lot of them do you? This is why some people are upset by the switch.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why would the powerpc users be left in the cold? If all of your application are working, then they should be working in the near to long term future. Remember you don't have to upgrade. That is why there, those people out there still using OS9 and windows 98.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you Powerbook is serving you well, then keep saving the money for a future purchase. Notice I didn't say MacIntel box.

In a year we'll have a better idea how Apple is going to release Intel product lines. From what I've been reading, it looks like Intel will first appear in the low end and laptops. Personnally I expect the laptops to be first. Your desktops will come later and then the towers and servers. So your looking very far out for that desktop you want.

The thing is, if you really need a desktop now, I see no good reason not to buy one. You'll get several years of service from it and when it is time to upgrade, you may be looking at the second or even third generation of MacIntel boxes. Also the software and hardware market for them will be much more developed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
Tel said:
Im waiting till the Intel chips start rolling out then, just before they say goodbye to PPC I'll buy the best PPC iMac I can, that will easily last a couple of years until the Intel chips are working flawlessly. Apple have already stated that they're not going to hang PPC out to dry as sevenhelmet said.
I would only change my mind on this if the forst Intel machines run extremely well and exceed everyones expectations.

i'm kinda thinking along the same lines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Texasmeat said:
I think that powerpc users will be "left out to dry" but I dont think by Apple directly. Everything that works now will work in a year and even then some. The problems will come by third parties not updating drivers or making new apps to the ppc platform. It's kinda like new classic apps these days. Dont see a whole lot of them do you? This is why some people are upset by the switch.

Wouldn't universal binary help to curb this? It's not like there was ever an option of doing universal OS9/OSX apps... But here there is an alternative....

I just don't see developers walking away from an entire market of PPC users over not wanting to "do a little tweaking and check the PPC and intel boxes." Even if it turns out to be a little more complicated than Steve played it out to be.

F

Fallooza

first i would like ta say i dont know crap but this is my theory. ive see it posted that only about 2% of all peole witha puter have a Mac. After Mactel has been released for a hole year, what do you think the % of people witha Mac will have a Mactel? im thinkin like not even 2%. this isnt a big market. when the mactell comes out i bet theres not a lot of mactel only stuff. i think they will be using alot of old software with that app Jobs showed at the keynote (stone or tablet was in the name i cant remember). it might even make it slower ta use um too. so if there isnt a lot of mactel only software, an older machine might be faster making it better. but like i said i dont know crap.

F

Fallooza

remember Jobs showed how easy it was to convert the software fron one to the other for developers? he was like " just click this and thats it". so i bet alot of stuff is produced in both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.