Running Windows based Ableton in MAC?

Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie at all this, I recently purchased a macbook for music production switching from PC to MAC, My question might sound stupid but If I install Windows onto my Macbook, can i re install my other PC Windows based music production programs (IE Ableton) onto my macbook?

Thanks for the help.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie at all this, I recently purchased a macbook for music production switching from PC to MAC, My question might sound stupid but If I install Windows onto my Macbook, can i re install my other PC Windows based music production programs (IE Ableton) onto my macbook?

Thanks for the help in advance.

OP
F
Reaction score

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

If you bought the Mac for music production, yet running Windows to accomplish that end, however, I don't really see the point in switching. Nevertheless, carry on...

OP
F
Reaction score
The software for PC cost over 700 dollars in packages etc... plus even mroe considering all the other software programs I have I really dont/ or cant afford to buy it all over again just for mac.., The reason for switching is because I have tried it out and performance wise its more suitable to what I want out of a computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will have the same issues in Windows on a Mac that you have faced on any other PC of a similar quality. Running Windows on a Mac does not somehow make Windows any different, better or worse, than what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As MacShane said "dont see why not".

I dont know of a Windows Programm that doesnt work on Mac (with windows installed) unless the specs aren't there mind you ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP

Thanks for the help.

Yes. If you put boot camp on the macbook and install windows you can then install all the windows software you want.

A side note, I'm not sure how hard core you are in the music production, but in my experience a Macbooks are not very good for music production if you are used to using a dedicated windows machine with high end dedicated cards. I have a dedicated system that gets near zero latency this is an older windows machine, trying to use some of the same software on the macbook and I was never able to get the latencies down below about 70ms... To me that is not acceptable, so gave up trying ever use the macbook pro for music production.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can run the Win version of Ableton on your Mac. There are various ways of running Windows software on a Mac, but for a music production program such as Ableton, it's probably best to use Boot Camp. In other words, setup your Mac to dual boot between Mac OS X and Windows.

You might want to contact the folks at Ableton and ask if you can transfer your license from the Windows version to the Mac version. That would save you a lot of work and the extra expense of having to purchase a copy of Windows.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Crossposts moved and merged here.

To the OP: Please do not crosspost. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Fair enough still can someone tell me if this works ?

I'm going to suggest that running this program "IE Ableton" will most likely work on a Mac after installing Windows.

This is a fairly unusual program, and if you're looking for a 100% guarantee that it will work (from a member here on Mac-Forums)...that may not be possible...since no one may be running the same program on a Macintosh.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
If you have the original LIVE application DVD, it has both the PC and Mac versions on it.
IMO... since you got a Mac, just go with the Mac application for LIVE.
I have LIVE Lite 8 (AKAI version) on both my MBP and my Sony VAIO laptop. Both of my notebooks are registered on the Ableton website so I can upgrade both versions of LIVE with no problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.