• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

SCOTUS Rules in Favor of McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It was a 5-4 decision. That kind of split bodes poorly with the age of the court.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yeah, I think I heard someone else was quitting the Court this week as well. 50/50 checks and balances... I guess it all works out in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It was a 5-4 decision. That kind of split bodes poorly with the age of the court.

The vast majority of ideological SCOTUS decisions are 5-4 votes. Nothing new here.

Looks like the court was simply reiterating its decision in DC vs. Heller that also struck down a strict gun ban. Actually, this is even better since it was applied to Chicago and not a federal province like DC. Looks like we're finally going to see a slew of gun bans either being overturned across the country or local governments changing their gun laws to be in accordance with the Second Amendment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAL - G4-DA running QS 933MHz cpu. 7 HDDs (680GB). USB 1.1/2.0. 1GB ram. OS X.4.11
Caught that in this mornings Supreme Court News. Very good news at that. Still I wince every time there's a 5-4 decision. the makeup of the court can change in a moment and so can the outcomes of the decisions in the future. I follow and write my Reps regularly but that's just me. I'm an old 60s activist anyway. O:)

Sc00t

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Glad that the highest court in the land can still read the Bill of Rights. It's not like it's ambiguous in its wording "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, well it seems 44% of them can't read it. And if something happens to one of them in the next 3 years we'll end up with only 44% that can read.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, well it seems 44% of them can't read it. And if something happens to one of them in the next 3 years we'll end up with only 44% that can read.

Scary, but true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that the highest court in the land can still read the Bill of Rights. It's not like it's ambiguous in its wording "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

Well actually, it IS ambiguous, hence the controversy. You only quoted half the amendment. There are two clauses:

1. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...
2. ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

The problem is that some people don't see two separate clauses, they see just a single clause; to them only a militia is qualified to bear arms. There has been decades of debate on this issue. However, the court has now, for the second time, established that the two clauses are discrete entities and that private citizens do have the right to possess weapons.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well actually, it IS ambiguous, hence the controversy. You only quoted half the amendment. There are two clauses:

The problem is that some people don't see two separate clauses, they see just a single clause; to them only a militia is qualified to bear arms. There has been decades of debate on this issue. However, the court has now, for the second time, established that the two clauses are discrete entities and that private citizens do have the right to possess weapons.

Thank you Professor Kash, I understand that. :D

My point was that it seems pretty straightforward to my eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I don't see it as two separate clauses, simply as one. I do believe that they intended the clause to mean that citizens could bear arm to form militias for defense. They neither specified nor implied, however, that citizens could not bear arms even when not part of a militia, or for any other reason. One could make an assumption either way, and that is where the issue comes in.

Then again, I've always been a "Middle of the road" kind of person....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yay, now it will be that much more likely that I will be shot while visiting Chicago. This is a great thing?

You crazy right wingers and your guns! lol

I mean, don't get me wrong. I know it's in the Bill of Rights. I just think I'd feel a little bit better on the South Side if I knew that it was harder for people to be packing heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It all depends on what version you read and where that darn comma is at. ;)

But really, I see the Constitutional question of whether the right to bear arms is subject to reasonable regulation in the same light I view the ability to regulate freedom of speech. There sometimes is a need, e.g. yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Not everything in the Bill of Rights should be construed to allow all behavior despite its cost on society. There has to be a balance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay, now it will be that much more likely that I will be shot while visiting Chicago. This is a great thing?

I mean, don't get me wrong. I know it's in the Bill of Rights. I just think I'd feel a little bit better on the South Side if I knew that it was harder for people to be packing heat.

Right, because violent criminals always respect gun laws where enforced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
This was really a can't lose decision for me.

I live in a gun loving state so I'm not worried one way or the other. In fact I kind of wanted them to say the Chicago ban was kosher, had they done that the implication would have been wonderful.

No longer would the states be required to follow the bill of rights (as that was what the decision was about, not about how to interpret the clause as someone had posted it was simply a question as to whether states had to abide by the Constitution).

BUT if they had upheld it, all the God fearing Gun loving folks in the southern states could have felt free to ignore the other parts of the bill of rights... imagine, we could outlaw Islam, hand out any punishment we felt necessary without considering whether it was cruel or unusual (hanging car thieves would be a start) and pretty much ignored most of the Constitution with regard to laws within a state.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Au contraire. There are numerous studies that have shown violent crime is higher in areas that have gun bans. In areas with sensible gun control laws, it's the exact opposite. There's just something about an armed populace that gives criminals pause. So if anything, you should be safer now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
It all depends on what version you read and where that darn comma is at. ;)

But really, I see the Constitutional question of whether the right to bear arms is subject to reasonable regulation in the same light I view the ability to regulate freedom of speech. There sometimes is a need, e.g. yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Not everything in the Bill of Rights should be construed to allow all behavior despite its cost on society. There has to be a balance.

Sadly the SCOTUS doesn't really know how to read that well. Look at the part about cruel and unusual punishment, it simply states;

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

Any one that understand English can clearly tell that the ban on punishment was intended to cover punishment that was BOTH cruel and unusual. Yet the SCOTUS has bent over backwards twisting it to the point that a punishment need only be Cruel or unusual.... I mean seriously, the death penalty was never "unusual" in this country until the SCOTUS banned it. Prior to that time a good old public hanging was fine and dandy.

Yet now we have a SCOTUS that bans the death penalty if someone is too young, or because the person was too stupid.... Seems to me if they wanted to insure equal treat to all without regard to age or stupidity they would back off those cases and leg the states execute people as they saw fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Au contraire. There are numerous studies that have shown violent crime is higher in areas that have gun bans. In areas with sensible gun control laws, it's the exact opposite. There's just something about an armed populace that gives criminals pause. So if anything, you should be safer now.

Actually I've also seen studies where it is shown that a police officer firing in defense of himself is more likely to hit an innocent, than a civilian drawing a gun in defense of himself. By those statistics one could argue that we should ban the police from carrying guns and only allow civilians.

And if you think about it, it makes sense. A civilian drawing in defense is likely to be alone and there are less likely to be others around to get hit by mistake. A police officer would almost never be alone, even if it is just his backup near by their is likely going to be someone other than the criminal so that raises that chances of him hitting someone other than the criminal.

In short, statistics are easily manipulated to tell any story you want. I simply believe its better to have a gun and never need it than to need a gun and never have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that belief is well justified by numerous studies. We're both on the same page here :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In short, statistics are easily manipulated to tell any story you want. I simply believe its better to have a gun and never need it than to need a gun and never have it.

Agreed. Quite honestly, I don't even own a gun. But I have taken gun safety classes and learned how to shoot - and if I lived in a high crime area, you can bet that I would own one. Regardless, I don't want my right to own one infringed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.