• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple crushes records, sells 1.7 million iPhone 4s on launch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple crushes records, sells 1.7 million iPhone 4s on launch | Electronista

Apple today said its iPhone 4 introduction broke all previous sales records by selling 1.7 million phones from Thursday through Saturday. The launch is Apple's most successful ever and comes even as Apple had scaled back its rollout to five countries.

It should also represent the largest launch ever for any cellphone. Nokia has often enjoyed larger economies of scale for its phones but has rarely had highly anticipated, coordinated launches. Android has had accelerating overall sales but never a launch on the order of an iPhone release. Even the Motorola Droid, its most successful device to date, had only reached 525,000 units two months after its November unveiling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And this is why the iphone is one of the best inventions ever.

There is only 2 kinds of people. Those who own an iphone. And those who want an iphone. Sure that's a joke. But it at the moment is not so far from the truth.

Reaction score
What a total WIN!

And I have to agree on that: there are 2 kinds of people. There will always be 2 kinds of people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And this is why the iphone is one of the best inventions ever.

There is only 2 kinds of people. Those who own an iphone. And those who want an iphone. Sure that's a joke. But it at the moment is not so far from the truth.

Let's not get too crazy with all that ... I'm not one of those people at all, right now. Perhaps if some things were different, I might be but not as it stands. And I can't really stand behind something being so great just because a massive amount of people are curious to know if the hype is justified. Besides, we all know that most common folk, (ie; not techies) are very easily swayed more by flash than function.

The multitasking still isn't true in the sense that most things like Safari will not load in the background and require a call.

Bluetooth is still without total functionality. (no simple back and forward on a remote and still no data transfers)

And in the year 2010... iPhone users are still missing out on the ability to customize their phone with different icon sets, icon themes and sound themes for various aspects things such as messaging. I don't get that. After all, what is the famous mantra ? "Think Different" ? That's pretty ironic and laughable, really. There's nothing to differentiate one person's phone from another, unless they make their own silly ringtone. And even doing that, requires a bit of a work around.

I could go on, but you know where I'm coming from. I'm pretty anxious to try and prove myself wrong when I get back to the states, and get an Android phone, to be honest.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15"); iPhone 4; iPad 64GB Wi-Fi
Anyone have any idea what the sales figures look like currently for the HTC Evo on Sprint? I've heard through the grapevines (but never at a credible source) that it's doing really well right now and close to the iPhone 4's figures. Wasn't sure, though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's not get too crazy with all that ... I'm not one of those people at all, right now. Perhaps if some things were different, I might be but not as it stands. And I can't really stand behind something being so great just because a massive amount of people are curious to know if the hype is justified. Besides, we all know that most common folk, (ie; not techies) are very easily swayed more by flash than function.

The multitasking still isn't true in the sense that most things like Safari will not load in the background and require a call.

Bluetooth is still without total functionality. (no simple back and forward on a remote and still no data transfers)

And in the year 2010... iPhone users are still missing out on the ability to customize their phone with different icon sets, icon themes and sound themes for various aspects things such as messaging. I don't get that. After all, what is the famous mantra ? "Think Different" ? That's pretty ironic and laughable, really. There's nothing to differentiate one person's phone from another, unless they make their own silly ringtone. And even doing that, requires a bit of a work around.

I could go on, but you know where I'm coming from. I'm pretty anxious to try and prove myself wrong when I get back to the states, and get an Android phone, to be honest.

Doug

I consider myself quite a techie. I used to build my own PCs and was quite proficient with Windows. I used to edit and "clean out" the registry by hand. I've even modified the resource files in some applications to make the keyboard shortcuts work to my liking, and much more. So as a technically savvy person, I feel quite confident in saying that the iPhone 4 is by no means all flash. Its multitasking may not be "true" in the sense of how a desktop computer multitasks, but it's a portable phone first and foremost, and my expectations are markedly different. On a technical level, iOS 4's multitasking features totally kicks the nuts off any other smartphone out there. It provides what is needed on a limited scale without killing the battery. If that's not thinking different, then I don't know what is.

I'll grant you the limited bluetooth features, but the rest is rather frivolous. Ringtones are easy to make... I don't know what workaround you are talking about. It's totally cake. Offering the ability to customize icons would either overburden the OS to provide what really is a pointless feature, or open it up to security vulnerabilities by letting people (and as a result... hackers) access and edit their phone's contents directly. Yes... Android makes this easy to do by letting people do what they want. The malware count for Android is also on the rise as a result, while there continues to be zero for the iPhone. Sure, a technically savvy person will know how to avoid this stuff (or figure it out the hard way). The average person is FAR from technically savvy though, as evidenced alone by the sheer volume of virus-infected Windows PCs out there.

I understand why Apple does what they do and I'd rather they left the iPhone secure as-is for the less-savvy masses. For the technically savvy, we can either get an Android, or just jailbreak their iPhone and do what we please. I'll eventually re-jailbreak mine to get back a ringtone randomizer I used pre-iOS4, and some widgets. Yeah, I'd rather not have to do that, but it's not a big deal. These are rather petty non-essential wants as it is. I am solidly in the iPhone camp because overall, it is technically superior to everything else out there as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I agree with lifeisabeach. Well said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
lifeisabeach - well said.
99.9% of iphone customers have no idea what even jailbreak is. And if they tried they'd just brick their iphones. And for those few of us with the need and knowledge to customise our phones there is jailbreak/Android. I think Apple made the right move catering to the not so tech savvy masses with the iphone. And it seems to have paid off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As with most of their products they are for users without overcomplicating the job at task
and there are products out there for tinkers and tech heads who enjoy modifying .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As with most of their products they are for users without overcomplicating the job at task
and there are products out there for tinkers and tech heads who enjoy modifying .

Agreed. To be honestly, most of Apple's products really aren't designed for the type of person who wants ultimate control and the ability to mod everything.

Apple's products are designed to provide a powerful, intuitive experience in an aesthetically pleasing way. That's their focus and they do it better than anyone else.

It's the main reason in the long run why Android will never be as attractive or easy as iOS, there's too much complexity, configurability and fragmantation to achieve the same level of coherence that iOS provides.

Reaction score
Apple and the whole team deserves all the success. Their products are truly life-changing. As they always say, once you go mac, you never go back! thanks for keeping us all informed of how awesome Mac is. This is a great community :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I consider myself quite a techie. I used to build my own PCs and was quite proficient with Windows. I used to edit and "clean out" the registry by hand. I've even modified the resource files in some applications to make the keyboard shortcuts work to my liking, and much more. So as a technically savvy person, I feel quite confident in saying that the iPhone 4 is by no means all flash. Its multitasking may not be "true" in the sense of how a desktop computer multitasks, but it's a portable phone first and foremost, and my expectations are markedly different. On a technical level, iOS 4's multitasking features totally kicks the nuts off any other smartphone out there. It provides what is needed on a limited scale without killing the battery. If that's not thinking different, then I don't know what is.

I'll grant you the limited bluetooth features, but the rest is rather frivolous. Ringtones are easy to make... I don't know what workaround you are talking about. It's totally cake. Offering the ability to customize icons would either overburden the OS to provide what really is a pointless feature, or open it up to security vulnerabilities by letting people (and as a result... hackers) access and edit their phone's contents directly. Yes... Android makes this easy to do by letting people do what they want. The malware count for Android is also on the rise as a result, while there continues to be zero for the iPhone. Sure, a technically savvy person will know how to avoid this stuff (or figure it out the hard way). The average person is FAR from technically savvy though, as evidenced alone by the sheer volume of virus-infected Windows PCs out there.

I understand why Apple does what they do and I'd rather they left the iPhone secure as-is for the less-savvy masses. For the technically savvy, we can either get an Android, or just jailbreak their iPhone and do what we please. I'll eventually re-jailbreak mine to get back a ringtone randomizer I used pre-iOS4, and some widgets. Yeah, I'd rather not have to do that, but it's not a big deal. These are rather petty non-essential wants as it is. I am solidly in the iPhone camp because overall, it is technically superior to everything else out there as it is.

I said most and not all, so you didn't really have to lump yourself into that category of people I mentioned since you're clearly not one of them. That aside, can you actually provide proof to the claim you've made about malware on "the rise" on the Android OS ? I don't mean articles supposing that it is possible for malware to rise in the future, (because the same can be said for iOS*) I mean hardcore evidence of what exists now, and how it's on the rise ?

As far as the multitasking thing and saving battery life, that's cool and all, but don't call it something that it's not. It's faux tasking if anything, and doesn't necessarily match or better the multitasking functionality found on the Android OS, which has a truer form of it over all. Nothing is perfect, after all these are fully mobile platforms, but I'm just comparing feature to feature in an attempt to decide which device would suit my needs better.

Ringtones. I didn't say it was difficult. I just said it was a bit of a work around. I can take any unmodified Mp3 or probably AAC or wma file and make it a ringtone on an Android device. With the iPhone, I have to either whip one up in garage band or do some footwork in iTunes. I know, because I've done it before and have a huge batch of ringtones saved.. want some ? haha..

As for "the rest" and it being frivolous.. I'm not going to call you a liar, but I guarantee that if said features were available for the iPhone, you guys would once again be singing the praises of Apple and how much better it is on the iPhone than any other phone out there.. And I wouldn't exactly call customizing ones phone frivolous. It's about separating yourself from the herd of sheep in your office or the gaggle of friends you hang out with. It's about being able to use a design that YOU came up with and integrating it into that thing which has become part of your life style.

In this day and age, we all communicate more on the net and mobile devices, than we do on a personal level.. even when we're in the company of people we're hanging out with ! Having a different MMS or SMS tone or eMail tone creates some separation, and inspires ideas etc.. Call it corny, but it's hard to deny. And please, don't give me that crud about the hardware not being able to handle such tasks ! That's ridiculous and you know it !

I concede that me talking about it as if Apple will ever change their policy is a bit silly, since it won't happen, so I'll just stick with what I originally told you... "let's not get too crazy with that, eh?" Because your original statement that "there's only two types of people", holds NO truth to it whatsoever, sorry.

You kooky kids...
Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I concede that me talking about it as if Apple will ever change their policy is a bit silly, since it won't happen, so I'll just stick with what I originally told you... "let's not get too crazy with that, eh?" Because your original statement that "there's only two types of people", holds NO truth to it whatsoever, sorry.

That "there's only 2 types of people" was my statement originally and not his. And I didn't say it was 100% true. I just meant if you took a generalised view of the world, then a lot of people would fit into that category. Actually I don't know one person who would fit into that category. Well there a couple of family relatives. But they do not want a mobile no matter what it is.

But I think you get my point. As a generalisation it's a very good one.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said most and not all, so you didn't really have to lump yourself into that category of people I mentioned since you're clearly not one of them. That aside, can you actually provide proof to the claim you've made about malware on "the rise" on the Android OS ? I don't mean articles supposing that it is possible for malware to rise in the future, (because the same can be said for iOS*) I mean hardcore evidence of what exists now, and how it's on the rise ?

You implied the iPhone is more flash than function. As a "techie", I beg to differ. But perhaps I misunderstood… *shrug* As for Android malware, it's been mentioned quite a bit in the news. The HTC Magic in particular actually shipped with malware on it. I could dig up many many more examples, but since you are in such a state of denial, it suggests you are either not as well informed as you'd have me believe; have your head buried in the sand; or just trolling.

As far as the multitasking thing and saving battery life, that's cool and all, but don't call it something that it's not. It's faux tasking if anything, and doesn't necessarily match or better the multitasking functionality found on the Android OS, which has a truer form of it over all. Nothing is perfect, after all these are fully mobile platforms, but I'm just comparing feature to feature in an attempt to decide which device would suit my needs better.

It is multitasking. In a limited form, yes. But it is multitasking and it is much better suited for a MOBILE device. Just because Android acts more like a desktop and lets people do what they want doesn't make it better or easier. Apple has implemented multitasking in a manner that addresses many of the issues that "true" multitasking brings with it. Battery life in particular. No one else is even on the radar in doing anything like it. That's thinking different. All Google is doing is copying existing methods and adapting them in a half-assed manner.

Ringtones. I didn't say it was difficult. I just said it was a bit of a work around. I can take any unmodified Mp3 or probably AAC or wma file and make it a ringtone on an Android device. With the iPhone, I have to either whip one up in garage band or do some footwork in iTunes. I know, because I've done it before and have a huge batch of ringtones saved.. want some ? haha..

So grab a 3rd party utility that makes it simpler, if this is so difficult. Oh look… here's one!
iToner | Ambrosia Software, Inc.

As for "the rest" and it being frivolous.. I'm not going to call you a liar, but I guarantee that if said features were available for the iPhone, you guys would once again be singing the praises of Apple and how much better it is on the iPhone than any other phone out there.. And I wouldn't exactly call customizing ones phone frivolous. It's about separating yourself from the herd of sheep in your office or the gaggle of friends you hang out with. It's about being able to use a design that YOU came up with and integrating it into that thing which has become part of your life style.

So get an Android, or jailbreak an iPhone and do what you want. Even "true" multitasking (and watch your battery life plummet). Seriously… no one cares what you use.

I didn't say that. And the person who did meant it more as a joke than something serious. There are far too many Apple haters out there for that to ever be taken seriously.

You kooky kids...
Doug

Kids? Chances are I'm much older than you are. I'll be embarrassed for you if I'm not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.