G5 - FX 5200 or ATI 9600 Pro in a G4 DA?

H

Harryc

Will either an nVidia FX 5200 or an ATI 9600 Pro from a Powermac G5 fit in a 4X AGP slot G4 Digital Audio without modification? If modification is needed, what is the mod? Links? The goal is to get a core image supported video card for cheap. Any other good inexpensive core image cards for the G4? 9800 Pro is out of my price range.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

OP
H

Harryc

I've met my goal of getting a core image supported video card for cheap. ($60. on EBay for the ATI9600xt Pro) This mod worked, however I have a question about performance between a GF2 MX 32mb stock video card and an ATI 9600 Pro 64mb card. I ran xbench before and after the video card replacement, and the ATI9600's performance was slightly lower in all of the video tests. I would have thought just the opposite. Any ideas? Anyway, I get the nice ripple effect when dropping a new widget onto dashboard. In retrospect, I probably should have tried some game demos before and after.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.