IDVD Problem - DVD not working on all T.V's &/ or DVD players?

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a wedding invitation using the iMovie and iDVD software on my mac. I have tried numerous things to make it work right but I'm having little luck.

Basically I have tried all of the following. I have exported from iMovie in both standard and high quality to quicktime and even using the standard iMovie format I've used those files to make DVD's in iDVD. I originally burned the DVD's as NTSC, widescreen with low quality without knowing and later found and changed the region settings to PAL, standard and professional quality.

So far everything I've done still has the same out come. The DVD won't play on some DVD players; The DVD will work & play fine on LCD and Plasma T.V's but wont work on the older tube T.V's. (chops off the top and bottom of the project/ DVD). The DVD's are ****smith (Aus brand) DVD-R; Will changing the brand and or type of DVD help? Am I missing anything? Please help as it's for an important and urgent project.

Kind Regards, Trev...

P.S. The DVD's I've burned so far all work on the computers I've tested it on.

Hope that made some form of sense???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, writeable DVD media is never universally compatible. I have seen cheap DVD players that will play just about anything, and I've seen expensive players that played only commercial discs. There's just no rhyme or reason to it.

With that said, I've found that Imation and TDK DVD+R discs burnt at very slow speeds (less than 4X) are usually the most reliable. But again, there's always the odd exception and unless you have them professionally pressed, there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.