video on iphone 4 grainy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
Hi ya'll

I have the new iphone 4 and the videos I used to watch on my ipod touch come out grainy on the iphone4
so I used iskysoft video converter to optimize my videos for the iphone instead and it still comes out in bad quality

so can we not put videos that come out correctly on the iphone 4 yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The problem is that the iPhone 4 has a much higher resolution screen. Your old videos and videos converted using the iPhone profile look grainy because they were designed for a lower resolution screen.

The best way to get around this problem is to encode using a profile designed for computers or TVs since they have higher resolutions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is that the iPhone 4 has a much higher resolution screen. Your old videos and videos converted using the iPhone profile look grainy because they were designed for a lower resolution screen.

The best way to get around this problem is to encode using a profile designed for computers or TVs since they have higher resolutions.

interesting...thanks I will try that
what i f i tried m4v? would itunes let me put it on my phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It has nothing to do with the filename but rather the quality that the video is encoded in.

C

chas_m

We're all kind of confused because you totally changed the subject.

The answer you were given is correct: you need to start over with those videos and re-encode them as you would for AppleTV.

M4V is a format and has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. But yes, your files need to be in M4V format for iTunes to recognise them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh encode it for apple tv that's what y'all meant thanks chas I think I was the one that was extremely confused
Thanks so much

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so i tried to do it once with regular apple tv format (mp4) and it was still grainy
then i converted a video to H 264 apple tv video that was higher quality and it worked yay!!!
it looks normal on my iphone 4 finally I dont have to have an ipod touch and an iphone in my lap like an idiot!!!!
the only caveat is the iphone 4 has such a short batterly life for me; i might as well keep my ipod for movie watching so that my iphone doesn't get drained of battery even faster than it already does smh...

but in any case thanks for helping me solve this guys!

C

chas_m

I've heard reports of very short battery life on iPhone 4, but everyone who's mentioned this problem (just had one at the Mac User Group meeting tonight) says that a reset cleared it right up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.