I need help with PB G4(A1104), grey screen

Reaction score
Thanks for taking your time to read my questions and hopefully answer some if not all of my problems(mac only). So here it goes.

I obviously have a PowerBook G4(A1104) and when I press the power button I get to a grey screen with no apple or broken file. It will sit at this screen for a few minutes and then turn itself off. I have tried to insert a OS X Snow Leopard 10.4.3 by inserting the DVD while at grey screen and then powering off then powering on while holding "C" but it just keeps going back to the grey screen. The DVD will eject when I hold the mouse button down.

When I power on and hold "option" I get a 3/4 circle arrow on the left and a straight arrow pointing right in the right. I do get a mouse cursor in the for of a watch and the min. hand will spin but eventually stop at 9 where the hour hand sits. I get a grey box around the right arrow that would indicate that I could press the space or return and it would select it but nothing happens when I press any key. I can move the cursor but when I click on the buttons nothing happens.

I have taken out the battery(only when turned off)
I have removed the one stick of ram and cleaned it with an eraser to make sure the contacts were clean.

I will have access to a G5 tomorrow and am hoping that I can firewire them together but I will still need help. I do have an empty iPod that I can use, I understand that I can load an OS from it as long as I don't care what happens to the info on the iPod.

Thanks for your time and I really don't want to buy;D a new PowerBook.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I obviously have a PowerBook G4(A1104) and when I press the power button I get to a grey screen with no apple or broken file. It will sit at this screen for a few minutes and then turn itself off. I have tried to insert a OS X Snow Leopard 10.4.3 by inserting the DVD while at grey screen and then powering off then powering on while holding "C" but it just keeps going back to the grey screen. The DVD will eject when I hold the mouse button down.
I'm sorry to say...but you've made some technical errors here. OS 10.4.3 is not Snow Leopard. 10.4.3 is a version of "Tiger". Snow Leopard is OS 10.6. Secondly...if you truly do have an OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" install disk...Snow Leopard WILL NOT install on a Powerbook G4. Snow Leopard will only install on an Apple computer with an Intel processor (a Powerbook G4 does not have an Intel processor).

I will have access to a G5 tomorrow and am hoping that I can firewire them together but I will still need help.
Even if you have access to a G5 tomorrow. If you truly have a Snow Leopard install disk...it still will not work on a G5. G5's do not have an Intel processor.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.