OSX/Hard Disk problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB
Hi everyone,

So, I was using my Macbook Pro 13 as I would normally today and it was working perfectly fine, Until I rebooted the system. As the screen illuminated I was welcomed by this loading bar underneath the Apple logo and that spinny thing. Can somebody tell me what this is? It does it whenever I boot into OS X. I have tried repairing the hard disk permissions and resetting the PRAM (command-option-P-R) but still no luck on getting rid of it.

I was also encountering other problems with my Macbook Pro today such as the finder and my applications crashing quite a bit. They seem to be ok at the moment so I was wondering if anyone could help me on this.

Should I go and buy an external hard drive and do a time machine backup so I can re-install Mac OS X on my system or does it sound like my hard drive is dying. My computer is still in warranty (I think anyways) so I should be able to take it to an Apple Store to get it fixed if it's something like that.

Thanks a lot! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I was welcomed by this loading bar underneath the Apple logo and that spinny thing. Can somebody tell me what this is? It does it whenever I boot into OS X.

If it's the multi-colored beach ball symbol, it's telling you to wait while it checks the OS, or an application that's opening/operating. It can be a sign that there are problems - but not always.

I have tried repairing the hard disk permissions and resetting the PRAM (command-option-P-R) but still no luck on getting rid of it.

From what you post, there appears to be a hard drive problem, so you need to run a hardware check. Boot from the original Install Disk 1, open Disk Utilities from the top menu bar, then First Aid from the available tabs. Verify Disk first, followed by Repair Disk (if necessary).

the finder and my applications crashing quite a bit.

This could be a sign of faulty RAM, which might also explain the delays and spinning beach ball at startup. First Aid may detect a problem with a RAM module.

Should I go and buy an external hard drive and do a time machine backup?

Backups should always be a priority for every Mac user, so don't hesitate.

Try the Disk Utility check first, to see if repairs can be made. If not, do the backup and then get that MBP into the Apple Store. Make the most of that warranty (if it's still valid).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB
From what you post, there appears to be a hard drive problem, so you need to run a hardware check. Boot from the original Install Disk 1, open Disk Utilities from the top menu bar, then First Aid from the available tabs. Verify Disk first, followed by Repair Disk (if necessary).

Ok, so I put my disk into my computer and it doesn't boot it just stays there on the white screen with the apple. I held down the "C" key to get it to boot from the disk. After waiting for so long I take the disk out and it has some kind of ring around it - Laser burn I guess. I swear I didn't move the computer when it was in it and I have never used that disk until now. What should I do? Will Apple send me new disks? I found out it is still in warranty, not for that long though.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just some more information if you need it:

MacBook Pro 13" (April 2010 edition)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ
4GB Memory
250GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in battery (10 hours)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Snow Leopard 10.6.4 (Latest Version)

Also since the 10.6.4 update I have found it to be slow ever since. Hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Okay, just to clarify (and thanks for listing the specs, always useful - put the first three and the last one in your member profile):
1. Put Install Disk 1 in the drive tray
2. Reboot the Mac, and hold down the C key IMMEDIATELY after the chime sound.
You should hear the optical drive whirring away, and the startup screen should appear slightly later than normal, with a different appearance from normal. If none of that happens, and the usual screen appears, then the Install disk startup hasn't worked.

If so:
1. Leave the Install disk in the tray
2. Go to System Prefs > System > Startup Disk and select the MacOS X Install disk as the startup system.
3. Reboot the Mac. (you shouldn't need to hold down the C key)

If the Mac starts from the optical drive, you're in business! Go through the hardware check as outlined in Post #2.

BTW - the disk ring you refer to is normal (I think). Not all the disk may be used, and you can see a ring where the original burn finished (disks burn from the centre outwards). If the disk is faulty - and only another Mac will determine that - then Apple may replace it, you'll need to contact them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I took it into the Apple Store and they took it away to get a new hard drive fitted as the other one was kinda dying. The computer wouldn't even boot off an external hard drive to re-install the OS. So I don't think my install DVD's were faulty after all. Thanks for all of your help! I'll be getting it back next week hopefully.

Reaction score
Sounds Like the EFI Firmware inside the Mac is Having Trouble.

Supporting Evidence For this

-The Bar Under the Apple Logo
-Applications Crashing

If i were you Download the Firmware Reset tool from Apple

This will Reinstall The Firmware and Fix ALL issues.

Reason for this and not a Reinstall is Because the loading Bar Is from the Firmware itself and not from the OS X Operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.