I need a printer for college! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey, all! I'm about to begin my journey to University... To end up back in the same high school I recently graduated from (on the other side of the classroom, though, as an English teacher!). Oh, the irony. But, that's a story for another day.

ANYWAY--I just got a new Macbook Pro, and I love it. I had a fantastic, albeit cheap, printer/scanner/copier that I used with my Acer. The printer is a Lexmark X3430. I believe I picked it up roughly three years ago during Christmas at a Staples. It was on sale for TWENTY FREAKING DOLLARS, so how on Earth could I not? It's been an excellent printer, but now I fear that I won't be able to bring it with me to college and I'll have to shell out even more money for a new printer. I haven't been able to find the driver for it, and perhaps, because it's so "old," there is none.

If any of you have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive (less than $100) printer/scanner/copier that I could use with my Mac, I would be overjoyed. Wireless would be nice too, but it's not a necessity by any means. If you could find the driver for my current printer, I would be even more thrilled! I'd probably even give you a muffin.

Boy, do I ramble. I hope this is the right forum. Thanks, guys! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just did a quick search and looks like you're correct, there are no Mac drivers available for the Lexmark X3430.

Do you need color or will black and white suffice? Inkjet or laser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Canon Pixma, either the 320 or 340 (office); or 490, 270, 250 (home) ... all under $100.

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
I'd prefer a laser printer, but as long as it has those functions and it's within my price range, I won't be too picky about it. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would also recommend a laser printer if you are mostly just using it for printing out papers for college. Might want to check this place out.

Reaction score
With a laser theres no ink to dry out if it sits for a wail. I would stay away from wireless. The small Samsung Color Laser or Brother would be great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.