Problem insalling OSX

Reaction score
When I try to install OSX on a Macbook using the retail (black) disc I get the message "Mac OSX cannot be installed on this computer". The Disc Utilities log says "Folder Manager is being asked to create a folder (cach) while running as uid 0".

Any suggestions. I have already tried reformatting the hard drive and resetting the PRAM.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What Mac do have and what version of OSX are you attempting to install?

OP
C
Reaction score
I have an Intel MacBook A1181. I am trying to reinstal Leopard after replacing the logic board. It boots to the OSX disc without any problem and runs disc utiliites from the OSX disc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two additional thoughts:

- You are booting from the DVD right?
- Good thing you have the "black" install disk. Just wanted to make sure of one thing...it's not the black Leopard "Drop-In" DVD? Of course if you're trying to update to 10.6...then this wouldn't matter.

Like Bobtomay requested...please let us know what Mac you have & what OS version you are trying to install.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Intel MacBook A1181. I am trying to reinstal Leopard after replacing the logic board. It boots to the OSX disc without any problem and runs disc utiliites from the OSX disc.

Thanks for the info. Is the Leopard DVD the full retail disk or the "Drop-In/upgrade disk?

Replacing the logic board is a big repair. You said that the computer books from the Install disk ok...and you mentioned that you reformatted the hard drive. Are you sure you chose the correct format method for the hard drive?

- Nick

p.s. Generally speaking...you would choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format method.

OP
C
Reaction score
In answer to the questions raised:

The version of OSX is 10.5. It is black and says it is an "Install DVD". It came with Drive Genius 2.

I have reformatted the hard drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to insert the photo below...in my post above.... This is what the "Drop-in" 10.5 DVD looks like:

leopardupgrade103107.jpg

Just wanted to make sure this is or isn't what you're working with.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why was the logic board replaced? What symptoms/problems were you having before the logic board replacement?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Nick - thanks for the photo. I definitely do not have the drop in version but the regular retail version.

The logic board was replaced because the macbook died. It would not boot either to the hard drive or the CD. I suspect the cause was overheating.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - thanks for the photo. I definitely do not have the drop in version but the regular retail version.

The logic board was replaced because the macbook died. It would not boot either to the hard drive or the CD. I suspect the cause was overheating.

If your MacBook will not boot from the hard drive, it will boot from the OS install DVD ok, and reformatting the hard drive to install the OS hasn't helped...then maybe something is wrong with the hard drive.

Did you purchase this MacBook new...and if even if you purchased it used...do you have the "gray" disks that came with it when it was new. One of the disks has a hardware test program on it...that may help determine what's wrong.

Otherwise...we have to guess what's wrong (based on the info so far)...which seems to point more & more to a bad hard drive. Of course your other option is to take the MacBook to the nearest Apple Store for diagnosis...but I can almost guarantee you that's going to cost close to or more than a new hard drive (that you can install).:)

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...can I assume this MacBook is no longer under warranty? Because a logic board replacement is usually an "ungodly" expensive repair...and most folks don't do it! If this computer IS still under warranty (Applecare)...take it to the nearest Apple Store ASAP...and have them look at it!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.