I Officially Hate Norton Antivirus

Reaction score
So, on my Windows 7 computer, Norton Security Scan ran (as I wanted) and found these three things that Malware Antibytes and McAfee did NOT:

So Norton Security Scan ran a scheduled update. Then it tells me this:

Threat Name: Downloader
Target Name: C: \users\username\appdata\locallow\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0\8\6e736388-55213564
Target Type: Infection

Threat Name: Downloader
Target Name: C: \users\username\appdata\locallow\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0\8\6e736388-55213564
Target Type: Browser Cache

Threat Name: Trojan.ByteVerify
Target Name: C: \Users\username\locallow\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0\8\6e736388-55213564
Target Type: File

What do I do? There's a way to fix it, but that means I have to buy Norton software. I've scanned and rescanned with Malware Antibytes and McAfee. They both turned up nothing.

It almost seems as if Norton is making this up.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's next up on my list.

What's the opinion on Malware Antibytes and McAfee (the latter I have no choice but to keep- Dad's orders)

I emailed MS to get an opinion on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, GT 320M
In my opinion, Norton and McAfee both suck. :D

AVG Free is excellent as well as a few other free options. I've used AVG free for years and never had any issues.:\

OP
C
Reaction score
In my opinion, Norton and McAfee both suck. :D

AVG Free is excellent as well as a few other free options. I've used AVG free for years and never had any issues.:\

I've used AVG in virtual machines running Windows XP. And purposely tried to get it infected. AVG does work. Though my current issue is on a physical machine, not virtual, so I have to really try different methods of finding things. Windows scares me sometimes. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used AVG in virtual machines running Windows XP. And purposely tried to get it infected. AVG does work. Though my current issue is on a physical machine, not virtual, so I have to really try different methods of finding things. Windows scares me sometimes. :Oops:

Well, all I know is Windows. ;D

There's really no difference between a virtual machine and a physical machine unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say. If there are infections you are trying to remove, AVG should be able to handle it. If not, then there are other good and free programs out there that serve this exact purpose.

I hope you can get it all figured out. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Success!

Microsoft Security Essentials removed the trojan.

As for the File and Browser Cache, those appear to still exist, though, if my knowledge is correct, the trojan is the only harmful thing in that general path? (C: \user\usernames...)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

There's really no difference between a virtual machine and a physical machine unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say. If there are infections you are trying to remove, AVG should be able to handle it. If not, then there are other good and free programs out there that serve this exact purpose.

AVG was a decent free Anti-Virus, in more recent years, it's become almost as bloated and useless as Norton/McAfee.

In MaximumPC's testing, Avira and MSE were both rated far better amongst the free AV products.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
AVG was a decent free Anti-Virus, in more recent years, it's become almost as bloated and useless as Norton/McAfee.

In MaximumPC's testing, Avira and MSE were both rated far better amongst the free AV products.

Agreed there. Won't even put AVG on my friend's machines any more.

OP
C
Reaction score

Aside from the fact that a virtualized machine is one that runs in a real-time environment in another operating system (VM Ware is one example), and a physical machine is one you buy at a store, there's not many differences. VM's tend to suck up resources if you're not careful. But most people find that allowing a certain amount of RAM and storage space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I disagree that it's even near as bloated or useless as Norton or McAfee but there's really no point in debating it.

I do agree that Avira is another excellent option though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great everything up and running Chris,. Beauty of MSE is that it is a free program and relatively easy to update which became the big problem with AGV.

Reaction score
Me too

First, I had AVG, then Bitdefender, then I switched to Avira last year.

NAV? It used to slow down my comp so much that it rendered it useless.
Don't know if it is still the case today.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed there. Won't even put AVG on my friend's machines any more.

I use Antivir pretty much exclusively on any Windows machine I own or set up. Never had an issue so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.