Powerbook G4 PowerPC 1.25 Ghz 15" conking out in warm room

Reaction score
in an effort to keep utility bills down, I've become accustomed to letting my room get warm during the summer. I don't really need a/c until it gets well above 80. lately, my laptop and external hard drive do not seem to weather temps above 75 with any panache at all.

thing is, even if I buy a new computer, it will be another mac (almost certainly the mini). will this also have issues with my attempt at being green and letting the heat build up? I know both machines are getting old, and I can all but guarantee you the powerbook could use a good cleaning. I'm not about to take eleventy billion miniscule screws out and risk making things worse than they are.

are there any devices for cooling computers that don't require cooling the entire room? besides a fan blowing my pictures off the bulletin board on the wall behind the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
my laptop and external hard drive do not seem to weather temps above 75 with any panache at all.

This is VERY strange...75-80F is not very warm. There is the possibility that a fan may have failed or is clogged with fuzz in the laptop...thus cooling less efficiently. Plus...if you've had this laptop for a couple years...and previously this computer was fine in 75F+ conditions...then that means something has changed. Dirty computer or failed component...or both.

I know both machines are getting old, and I can all but guarantee you the powerbook could use a good cleaning. I'm not about to take eleventy billion miniscule screws out and risk making things worse than they are.

I can understand this...but if the Powerbook needs to be cleaned...then it needs to be cleaned. It's just like you. If you're stinky & dirty...you can say I'm not going to take a shower to save water & be green...but that still leaves you stinky & dirty!;) Same applies to your Powerbook.

are there any devices for cooling computers that don't require cooling the entire room? besides a fan blowing my pictures off the bulletin board on the wall behind the computer.

One thing you can do is NOT use the "laptop" on your lap. Your body heat & less ventilation increases the heat of the computer. Use the computer on a desktop like surface...and maybe elevate it a bit to allow for more air circulation underneath.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.