recurring issue with google

Reaction score
just recently i've been having problems with google.

both on safari 5 and firefox.

i'm running OSX 10.5.8

after a reset of Safari or Firefox and reboot and reseting the PR RAM google, searching, and gmail will work for a while... and then all of the sudden it won't connect. the web page just goes to the 'cannot connect page' and says it cannot connect to google.com or gmail.com respectively.

if i wait a while even before rebooting sometimes it will just start working again and google and gmail will come up and function normally. if i just reset Safari or Firefox and reboot and reset the PR Ram i've found that works as well... but only for a while until the same cycle starts again.

all other web pages seem to work fine... it's just Google.

any advice?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try a reset of the router.

OP
J
Reaction score
got an update:

i've noticed that the problem seems to be simultaneously effecting Recaptcha security devices like on ticketmaster or live nation.

i won't have been to google in a while and i'll be on live nation looking for tickets, i'll try and request tickets and it'll load the Recaptcha page all except for the security words i'm supposed to type... i can hit refresh or try and get another set of words but it's still blank.

then if i go to google the webpage can't connect....

if i wait a while google will work again and viola, the Recaptcha words now appear when i request tickets.

this is driving me crazy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have found a couple of sites in the past where whatever version of captcha they're using just plain doesn't work all the time in Safari. Best suggestion I can make is to try FF or Opera when you run into them.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have found a couple of sites in the past where whatever version of captcha they're using just plain doesn't work all the time in Safari. Best suggestion I can make is to try FF or Opera when you run into them.

was having the same problem with FF.

just uninstalled and then reinstalled PeerGuardian, Little Snitch, Safari and Firefox

no problems yet.... i'll keep you updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.